Tires

duane_martinsen

Let's go racing
Over the past few years I have accumulated many old tires. I usually try to have the shop I purchased the new tires from dispose of old tires but they still seem to multiply back behind my shop.
I'm not sure who to address this to but do our local tracks have a drop off area at the track for used tires to make tire walls? I would think the tracks could use them and I believe I'm not the only racer collecting used tires. Anyone that may know please chime in.

For some strange reason I was reading the Sups. for Pacific races the other day and noticed this. According to the Sups., Pacific has a $10 per tire disposal fee. So I'm assuming they aren't in the market for free tires for barriers. I've never seen a drop off area for tires at the trac so I guess you'd have to ask John B. or Steve C. about it.

Maybe ORP needs them but then you get in to the transportation issue. Bremerton uses HUGE tires for their barriers. Portland, I doubt it.

To further put a damper on your GOOD idea, most of the tire barriers are constructed from larger truck sized tires. Not old racing or car tires.

Last edited:
Best shot is probably take a look at the common size of the tires that you have and contact the respective Track Mgmt. offices and ask if they would like them donated.

The issue of whether the facility is licensed/permitted by the local munincipality/state to accept tires for storage/recycling, so forth. They can address that with you.

ORP finally has the "cerificate" to accept spent tires, but as Rich says, it's a bit of a long haul from your end of the universe.

Back