Tire vendors?

rick_bostrom

Onda Kattan Racing
Been a while since I bought R compound DOT race tires - I am looking for a set of drys and wets in about 275/40-17:

1) What are the available options out there these days? I've used Toyo RA-1s and am familiar with Hoosier R6s. Any cool new options develop out there while I have been running slicks?

2) Who are the vendors people are using? I know Warren Secord has supported our races and has always treated me well - does he sell DOT race tires? Who is the other vendor that is often there? Are there other vendors I should consider?

Thanks!

Get a hold of Garth at A-N-T tires in Portland.....503-236-2106......Hoosier H2O for rains is fantastic. Suspect he will be at the Ridge for one of the April races. Have also heard the new Toyo RR is pretty slick, pardon the pun!

Bill

BFG also has a good option in the R1. A touch cheaper than the Hoosier, with just about the same grip and a bit more longevity. Now they also have a slightly softer RS1... sort of like the Hoosier A6 compared to the R6.

Rick, I just bought my drys from warren. The Goodyear r comp have been good and last quite a few cycles. Goodyear is limiting production on the dot tires this year so check stock early. I agree on the Hoosier wets they are the best.
Which vette are you going to run?

I wanted to go out and do a couple shakedown runs with the white corvette at the playday and/or the instructor session at the Ridge after ourt April 6th school. I was thinking about going with an unshaven DOT R-compound tire like the Toyo only because they are a lot more durable than full "rain" tires. I've run unshaven RA-1s in the dry and they don't burn up like real rains and the only negative is some tread squirm and slightly reduced grip.

By the way - who is going to come help out the IRDC and instruct at the Ridge? If you are a licensed race driver, especially from IRDC, you should really consider coming out and helping train the next generation of racers. Instructing is fun, we will provide mentors for those of you who have never instructed before, and it is an opportunity to give back to the sport and the club without committing to more than a day out of your busy schedule. I'm hearing from a lot of racers that they never knew they were wanted or qualified to instruct - maybe we need to work a litlte harder on getting our message out! If you have any questions about instructing - get ahold of me. The students we train may be racing 6" away from you at some point this year. If you want to be sure you can trust them in that situation, come out and help train them! If you want to instruct go to the event on MotorportsReg and sign up for free as an instructor.

I wanted to go out and do a couple shakedown runs with the white corvette at the playday and/or the instructor session at the Ridge after ourt April 6th school. I was thinking about going with an unshaven DOT R-compound tire like the Toyo only because they are a lot more durable than full "rain" tires. I've run unshaven RA-1s in the dry and they don't burn up like real rains and the only negative is some tread squirm and slightly reduced grip.

By the way - who is going to come help out the IRDC and instruct at the Ridge? If you are a licensed race driver, especially from IRDC, you should really consider coming out and helping train the next generation of racers. Instructing is fun, we will provide mentors for those of you who have never instructed before, and it is an opportunity to give back to the sport and the club without committing to more than a day out of your busy schedule. I'm hearing from a lot of racers that they never knew they were wanted or qualified to instruct - maybe we need to work a litlte harder on getting our message out! If you have any questions about instructing - get ahold of me. The students we train may be racing 6" away from you at some point this year. If you want to be sure you can trust them in that situation, come out and help train them! If you want to instruct go to the event on MotorportsReg and sign up for free as an instructor.

Rick, I had planned on instructing, but ended up having back surgery last week, so i won't be driving until portland at the earliest. Let me know how the white car works.

.......Goodyear is limiting production on the dot tires this year so check stock early.....

Very true and not making any FF sized tires at all this year. The majority of the racing tires they WILL be making are targeted at the PRO and semi-pro series where consumption is high. I think what's happened is company's like HOOSIER, AVON, TOYO and others have diluted the racing market so much that Goodyear doesn't see the value in 'competing' there. Seems like they've lost the vision of 'race on Sunday, sell on Monday'.

Jeez, sorry to hear you ended up going under the knife Curt! The "you should instruct" was intended to be general "you" not directed at you personally. Hope you heal quickly and completely - looking forward to hanging out with you guys some this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also had heard that Goodyear was cutting back heavily on race tire production. I've been reading on Production car and GT forums about the decision to not produce bias ply slicks for lots of applications that they had previously supported. Lots of folks scrambling to figure out alternatives.

Last edited:
Toyo tires are also available from Les Schwab of Fife. Ask for Kurt and tell him you race with ICSCC.

Internet prices (if you include shipping) with local pickup and free mounting. Balance extra, of course.

Back