Thinking of putting a car together

When you say "production," specifically which class are you talking about? There are several classes with "production" in the title but they can be quite different.

Oh my, Trout.

YES, USPS would be about $10.00 But the Post Office doesn't sell NGK spark plugs that I know of.

Although we try to support our LOCAL shops and suppliers we do have to order a lot of small stuff from Pegasus (including plugs) and other shops that have specialty Reynard parts. They only use UPS.

They pass on a portion of their volume discount to us racers.

UPS (notice I didn't say USP)

Overnight - $34.50 before 10AM (with $5.45 discount)
Overnight - $31.17 (with $5 discount)
2nd day - $15.15

I try to get orders for that little stuff in on Monday and use 3 day for $13.00 if I need it by following weekend.

BTW: Ground to Seattle takes 5/6 days from Wisconsin = $7.60

P.S.
The USPS versus UPS overnight rate difference is probably partially to do blame for postage increasing on May 11 to 44 cents. Me guess's the overnight rates will go up too.

Nobody has these plugs in stock locally. I am trying to find somebody to start stocking them. How many do you use a year? Also the 9 was just announced today that it is available again. It had been discontinued.

Karter,

Don't go to any trouble on this. I've found what you found. Not available locally which isn't a real PITA until they start taxing ALL Internet out of state sales (so we're paying tax and shipping).

We only use about 8 a year. Like to use the NGK AP8's when the weather is cool to cold and the AP9's on that ONE really hot day during the summer. Like to have a set in car, a set of the alternate in use plus a set of fresh in the tool box. Those are the 'popular' plugs for the 2 liter Pinto engine in FC cars which we now have about 6 of in ICSCC.

I have no idea what the other guys are using for plugs. Depending upon their engine builder, some may even be using the DPR9EIX-9 with a reducer bushing.

As you can see, it's a tiny nitch market. So unless it was a racer oriented business, it would hardly be worth your effort to set up a dealer with inventory.

Really appreciate your efforts though. The research that confirmed they aren't in the area at all was informative to me. I'll stop looking :)

Last edited:
I will work hard to help any racer... If this was a one-off street application I would have just told you to contact ngk.com... :rolleyes:

I have another place that is not my customer i need to try...

Baxter's is good. As long as they can get them from a regional stocking point that's great.

It's not like we expect to jump in the truck from the paddock and go pick up a set of plugs :)

I have a car I just finished for time trials. Not sure why I put the effort in for just a couple of races. I was thinking about turning it into a production car. Can anybody tell me what I would need to change except the roll cage and pull the interior out?

Thanks!

so back to the original topic. Sorry I hi-jak'd my own thread...

I need help understanding something. I keep getting asked about what production class I am talking about. I only see one in the rule book with the rules listed in section 14. Is there more? Maybe I am just reading too fast.

I am looking at DP if I leave the car mostly as is. If I take too much weight I will be in C and Not sure How competative the car will be there.

Also I was told you can use your ignition switch as a master cut-off with conference in the production classes. Is that true? I have read but did not find anything that got real specific like the GCR does.

Again thanks for the help.

Last edited:
A-ha, you're talking D Production, which is a Conference-specific class. (I used to race C Prod.) The rules there are quite different from SCCA Production or Conference's Improved Production classes.

So, yes, any DOT-legal tire is fair game in DP, assuming you run a tire/wheel combo of the proper size. No, you canNOT use your ignition as your master cut-off switch. You need one of those. You don't need any interior bits, EXCEPT, I seem to recall, the original dashboard.

Back