The Ridge - Spectating

Littlevees

Jim Venable
Is anyone aware if the crossing access has been accomplished that will allow viewing the races from the inside of the track?

Last year at the SCCA races, you could cross between sessions. You had to be quick about it though.

The main problem is controling spectators in a hot area that isn't really very well laid out to keep them out of harms way. We know folks would like to be able to observe more of that fantastic track - you can't even see some of the best bits from the paddock - but we are waiting on site improvements just like everyone else. Hopefully a lot of improvements will eventually come to the Ridge, until then we are trying to be content with the fantastic racing experience.

Folks can always try flagging for the day. Second best seat in the house, even if we have to stand while the cars are on course. You get to see all those great views on the upper portion of the course.

Absolutely true Rob. That is a great point that I should have made - thank you. Not only do you get to work with a bunch of folks who are a lot of fun but you become a participant instead of a spectator.

It really gives you an opportunity for some fun and solves another problem. We always need more good folks to work corners and if we opened a spectator area at the Ridge we would probably have to take someone OFF a corner and assign them to making sure the spectators stayed out of harms way and off our liability insrance.

If you have never flagged you should give it a try - next best thing to driving!

Is there a system in place that would allow drivers and or crew members to work a corner between their scheduled time/s on the track? If so, I imagine there are some who don't know this is a possibility.

Jim, there have been times when we have had to resort to swapping people in and out of turns to get the manpower needed to comply with the Comp Regs., but it's a challenge for the turn workers.
If you are working with a new person for a full day or weekend it eases our stress load a bit, but to have new people pop in an out is not something that works. And although the turn stations gives you a great viewing area, they are not allowed to be used as such.

I would encourage all drivers and crew to come work a turn on a weekend that they have decided not to race and have the dedicated time.
I have often said that as a turn worker, I learn new things from a driver's prespective whenever I have had the opportunity to work with a driver on a turn. The drivers have learned from us too. It's a win win. (and yes, we do have a lot of fun out there and have great junk food)

Back