The Real Reason for the Faux Races on Saturday

Paul,

Linda and I have known you and your lovely wife, Katherine for 15 years and consider both of you to be good friends. In fact if it wasn't for Katherine, I would have never agreed to be ICSCC President for two years.

I also want things to be done right and fair.

The only reason we are having this discussion is because of a rule change for the 2015 race season, which the drivers approved, eliminating the requirement having to receive the checkered flag. A driver now just has to complete half the laps to receive a finish. FYI - I personally voted against this rule change.

One of the unintended consequences of this rule change was the issue of weighing the top three finishers after the race. In your situation, there were two cars in class so both cars were required to weigh or be disqualified for failing to weigh after the race. The problem with this is what do you do when the car that is in the top three, has suffered so much damage that it can't be physically put on to the scales. Do they get DQ'd, because if they weren't in the top three, they would still get a finish.

Rule 714. All class winners shall be weighed when applicable and where possible.

We had two cars that weekend which were originally DQ'd for not going across the scales because one was totaled and caught on fire and the other one had a broken suspension. In reviewing our decision to DQ those cars, the Steward's felt the "where possible" wording gave us the latitude to say if the car is unable to be pushed onto the scales, the requirement to weigh after the race would be waived.

This opinion was presented to the Competition Committee and was approved in a 7 to 1 vote. The Competition Committee is defined in Rule 414 for drivers who may not know what the Competition Committee is. The wording of Rule 714 spelling out this policy will be voted on this year by the Contest Board and hopefully will be approved.

My only wish is that in your situation the cars in question were reversed - your car had broken and was unable to go across the scales. That way you would have been the beneficiary of the Stewards decision.

Paul, all I can say is the rules don't get stretchy if you have the Stewards favour. All three of the Stewards want things to be done right and fair, that is what we thought we were doing when we made the decision.

Respectfully submitted,

Dan Heinrich
Asst Race Steward

Dan,

Well, I don't think you were, particularly after I lost my times at Seattle for the same thing (not weighing, which at that time I didn't think I had to do).

But it no longer matters

Paul,

I'm usually pretty good at explaining things, but apparently on your belief that you had your times taken away from you in Seattle I have failed to make things clear. I will make one final attempt.

The race you are referring to was the 2014 IRDC race in Seattle. The format was as follows:

Saturday Morning - Qualifying

Saturday Afternoon - Non Points Race

Sunday Morning - Qualifying

Sunday Afternoon - Race

On Saturday morning you did not go out and qualify because of mechanical issues - so no qualifying time was earned.

On Saturday afternoon you participated in the Non Points Race and were disqualified for not going over the scales. (after this race weekend we/IRDC did not require cars to go across the scales on non points races because of all the DQ's and since the race did not mean anything) You did not lose any qualifying time because of this DQ. This was just a fun race with no points or qualifying times. All the other drivers that were DQ'd besides yourself, did not lose any qualifying times either. Apparently you were under the impression that this was a qualifying race - a few other drivers have had that impression but it was and never has been the case.

Sunday morning you qualified in poor weather and that was your only qualifying time for the weekend.

Sunday afternoon you raced.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I stand by my previous post to this forum.

I would like to make a vote for the stewards efforts and fairness. I had an unusual incident where I blew my engine right as I took the checkers. This resulted in me being flat towed to my pit. Because I was first in class, I asked the safety crew to stop and call the Stewards to make a ruling if I need to weigh the get the official win. The Stewards made the ruling that yes weigh, so safety crew dropped me and we pushed the car on the scales. I was very pleased with this and feel it was fair. If my car would have been unable to be pusehd to weigh, I am not sure sure of what they would rule, but would be happy that they were there to make the ruling.

As always, I am pleased that we have volunteers that are able to do these jobs so I can race. Thank you guys and keep up the good work!

Back