The 6 hours of BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bbenthin

NCW #322
Crossing fingers and toes for no snow tomorrow.
Good luck everyone, drive safe.

Corner workers, THANK YOU.
Bundle up, double up on hand warmers and don't forget that thermos of coffee or hot chocolate!

See y'all bright and early.

Go Team Lemon Lappers, lucky #13!!! :D

8 hours of the Driver Training today.

Thermos froze, nose drained, hands numb, legs stiff.

Changing clocks going to bed and looking forward to End of Day Messages tomorrow :)

Kinda day that makes me wish I had keep my ski bib pants from Maine!

I can't seem to figure out how to attach photos to this post, but I have some intereasting shots of today's snowduro at tripod.smugmug.com/PR enduro 09'.
A very bizarre day with 4 inches of snowfall and the melting of all of it within 4 hours!

Here ya go! :D

487795597_z7yxY-M.jpg

487795679_5fUim-M.jpg

487795603_P7Ltu-M.jpg

It sure was an interesting day. Thank you to everyone that helped with turnworking and braved the elements. All the locals, drivers that helped out and the usual group of workers; we actually had a couple of workers that came up from Portland and a couple that made the trip down from BC for our weather challenged event. Thanks again for all the help, too bad we couldnt go the full event. Oh well theres always next year.

For those of you that dont get BC news coverage, we are getting the snow today in Vancouver that you got yesterday at Seattle. Go figure.

Wes.
On a side note, whatever Lynn had I got now. It turned out lucky for me that we left early. I got as far as Bellingham before I started throwing up. Managed to make it home before the worst of it hit me.

Great, another set of tires to have to buy for next years event. Lets see, slicks,,,, rains..... Studs???? Which to start on???

You are all a lot braver than me!!

Thank you Brian!

Sorry to hear that Thomas, but I understand a bunch of folks around here have had it the last few weeks. I suppose Bruce and I are next! Thanks to both of you for always being here with your support and your years of experience.
Take care man.

I've been following racing since the early 70's, and have never heard of an American Road Race cancelled due to snow. Fog, yes. Heavy rain, yes.

Anyone else?

Was this a first?

In my 35 years of racing it was a first for sure. I recall one Conference race cancelled back in the 70's at Westwood due to very heavy fog that just would not go away. Other than that, this past Sunday was the only other cancellation I can remember.
We could have waited it out for another 2 or 3 hours till the snow stopped and the track personnel cleared the racing line, but the slush and standing water would have made it a risky proposition anyway, so it was what it was - and it's now in the history books.

So someone tell me how far things went? From the pictures, I presume that you got in some practice at one point. Was the race actually started or was it scratched before you got to that point? The races at PIR had all the weather that we could and still run, but PR had it much worse. So tell the story, please.

Rob

We did take the green on time at 11am. At that point the track was fine, just wet. I think at about 11:45-Noon it started to snow. Typical PR weather - started in 2, rolled across the rest of the track. By 12:30 we were racing in a driving snow storm. Couldn't see a thing in the car, and the track was slush, so there wasn't much grip anywhere. I think we were red-flagged at about 12:30. Conditions continued to be really crappy, and they called it at 2:30. Freaking weather!

Good thing some you folks had fins on your cars. Otherwise you might have spun out and caused undue panic of corner workers............ ;)

Back