ST is now an approved class

Club Rabbit Rules are:
1. Minimum weight requirements:
1500cc engine
1600cc engine
1852 lbs. with driver
1899 lbs. with driver

So they would have to add 501-548 lbs as a guess some how?
I think both of the Rabbits in question are SPU cars.

Beryllium is a carcinigen and it's Atomic Weight is 9.012182.
I would recommend using Tungsten as it is heavier at an Atomic Weight of 183.84 which is 20.399 times as much. :p Airplanes use them as the balance weights in wings and such. F1 uses it for ballast also.
You know, after I wrote beryllium I was thinking that it was more of a lightweight, alloy-type thing, and that I really wanted something like tungsten, but... whatever. (I wanted something heavy like lead but harder. See what comes of trying to be clever? Nothing good.)

yes we both have been Running SPU but not my Rabbit is getting Boosted so I don't class there any more. But it will stilll run in P2 for the enduros and thats what I biuld it for. I already Run a 22gallon Cell thats as big as I can have for the enduros. I don't want that much ballast and if I were to take it out for the enduro the set up would change a bunch. I've Been told that I would have no chance going racing with you RWD guys. That makes me want to do it more!

I've Been told that I would have no chance going racing with you RWD guys.
Oh, I don't agree with that at all. I've seen both your and Brad's cars on track and I know how fast they are. If there's a way you can manage it, I'd definitely give it a shot.

Thanks Steve
I will see where I'm a weight wise when the new engine and trans are in. Then we will see what the weight is.
Brad if you do I will too!

Last edited:
ive talked with some S4 (2000-2001) owners that track it alot are looking in to it. any American Iron(nasa) cars would fit in

So you're ok with the car I'm building that will meet American Iron specs (car is listed in my sig)?
Heck, I know two other people building the same era cars still wondering to which ruleset they should build their cars.

This could prove very, very interesting and negate any talk about creating an AI class. Plus the competition would be fierce (at the back of the pack with me).

I will need to build a different motor to run ST, so I will be running in SPM for now. There is just no way to get down to 280 ish rwhp with my current motor. The 8.2:1 turbo motor would be a dog with a small turbo and low boost. I will work on a 16v NA motor that would be much better for the class as I have the resources. Until then I will keep a close eye on you guys.

Bruce, My best time at PIR with the Volvo was 1:24.7 with the chicane at Dornbecher two years ago. That was with oil leaking onto LF. I parked the car last year to fit dry sump system and raced my Opel. I have not run the Volvo at PR yet...

Last edited:
Thanks Steve
I will see where I'm a weight wise when the new engine and trans are in. Then we will see what the weight is.
Brad if you do I will too!

I would be happy to do it, but as I figure it out on paper, I think adding that much weight will be harder on parts, tires, bearings etc. I will definately keep a eye on ST. It should prove to be a very competetive class!!

....and that I really wanted something like tungsten, but... whatever. (I wanted something heavy like lead but harder. See what comes of trying to be clever? Nothing good.)

No unless you have a BIG budget.

500 pounds of Tungsten would be about $7,000

500 pounds of Lead would be about $895

So if I have read this right, My camaro with a 350 hp would have to weigh in at 3500lbs with me in it after the race for scale purposes? 10lbs for 1hp. I am in, that makes it a lot more sense than build a 600hp engine. I would have to add 200lbs to make it legal. Not bad!

So if I have read this right, My camaro with a 350 hp would have to weigh in at 3500lbs with me in it after the race for scale purposes? 10lbs for 1hp. I am in, that makes it a lot more sense than build a 600hp engine. I would have to add 200lbs to make it legal. Not bad!

Yep 350rwhp = 3500lbs min.

Man... maybe I won't be the heaviest car in the class afterall :)

Scott, I told you to build a Mustang. You had to go & buy a VW. The cage is almost done in my Mustang. I ordered a new rear view mirror from Longacre today.
21566_1299688016111_1347720385_843550_4056053_n.jpg

Last edited:
Lot of things I could have done different... Just glad it is almost done and I should be racing full time next year.

Good to hear you have made progress on your car. I need a new mirror too. May have to come by and see what you got.

We were just standing around in the shop talking- Huh, 2700 lbs Mustangs with 270 hp.
295's all the way around. Could get interesting. I think my car would have to weight in around 3200-3500.

So kind of funny question. If there are restrictions for 10:1 WHP then are there any limitations on Torque output? I see this with the WRC cars where they put out 300 WHP but torque output is insane. Just seeing so I can't start planning ahead for the STI build.

Torque (ft. lbs.) x RPM / 5,252 holds true for the WRC cars just like any others.

They achieve high torque values by using BIG highly modified turbos with restrictors. The restrictors limit top end horsepower but spool up quicker and with the restrictor, give massive mid-range torque.

I'm guessing they spend a massive amount of time on the dyno getting the balance just right.

Is there a restriction on turbo charging in ST class?

Last edited:
Disregard my other post I found the rules for ST class. So with my calculations with 298 WHP and 335 Ft lbs of Torque I would need to be 3165 lbs. Not sure if I can get the car down to that weight so I may need a little more power to be really competetive. The car stock weighs around 3263 according to the factory. Have to get with Steve to see what his STI weighs in at.

Back