SPU

Hi all.

I've been going through the 2011 rules and I can't seem to be able to find classification info for SPU.
I had previously found that spu was for production based cars, under 2000cc, safety equipment to SCCA IT standard, no fuel cell or fire extinguisher system required.
Is this still in effect or has it changed?

Also, is there anything special required of me, residing in Canada, to qualify for a ICSCC log book? I have completed the CACC Novice program last year, but I have not submitted my membership/seniors license application yet, due to issues with car classification/logbook inelegibility(no SPU class).
My car is a 1984 scirocco 2, with a larger displacement 1970 cc(I think) 8v motor. not sure what all is done to it, but it is torquier than stock, and it is not a crossflow head. Car was teched last year and nothing big was mentioned, but I did not recieve a logbook as they had run out. So I would need an intial/annual tech inspection.

Thanks in advance

John Reznik

SPU is a regional-only class, so is only just mentioned in the SCCA GCR. You will find what is probably the most detailed (?) outline of SP classes on the Oregon Region SCCA website, here:

http://www.oregonscca.com/media-library/documents/roadrace/2011/2011%20general%20supp%20regs%201-26-11.pdf

Pg 5, item 24D.

It isn't much, but Super Production is meant to be a pretty wide-open class. Kind of a catch-all class for cars that are over-prepared for any other class, or searching for a class for a 2nd entry.

Check section 1313 of the Conference rule book. The SP class displacement breaks are different from the SCCA Oregon region rules. Also, the SCCA has no forced induction multiplier.

I couldnt find much info in the conference rule book either, but i just figured that meant there wasnt many rules, except displacement and the forced induction multiplier... What kind of cars are typically in SPU?

John, I hope that 8v will be competitive. What are the specs exactly? At least its under 2000cc but chances are some NA hondas will be owning the >2000cc group.

Last edited:
I couldnt find much info in the conference rule book either, but i just figured that meant there wasnt many rules, except displacement and the forced induction multiplier... What kind of cars are typically in SPU?

John, I hope that 8v will be competitive. What are the specs exactly? At least its under 2000cc but chances are some NA hondas will be owning the >2000cc group.

ha ha, thanks, but Im pretty sure it won't be, at least for now. The engine came with the car, so I'd like to be able to run it for this season, get some race experience, sort out the suspension, and next year have something more competetive under the hood. Just want to be legal.

Bob - I'll contacting you in the next few days.

Thanks all for your replies.:)

John

Practically speaking, the SP category has to comply to the displacement limits,
which for U means Under 2 Liters. Pretty much everything else goes, except
for tube frames. It's what happens to you when you go nuts on your SCCA Production
car, and then realize that you've overperformed... In other words, if you meet SCCA Production
for your car (unlimited, or 1, or whatever it's called this week) you're fine for Super Production.

t

<edit- oh, I'm not sure the tube frame thing even applies anymore>

Last edited:
The tube frame thing pretty much has never applied in the time I've been running SP.

It is intended to be a catch-all class where anything that doesn't fit any other classification can find a home and is defined by a "no rules" ruleset only limited by a minimum level of required safety equipment and breaks divided by displacement. The idea was to never discourage anyone from bringing a racecar to the track simply becasue it doesn't fit into a current set of class rules - there is always a place just come on out.

It has evolved into a convienient second class for those running competitively in other classes who want a second group to play in. Look at the success of some of our members like Randy Blaylock in SPO and Mac Russell in SPM made even more surprising by the fact that they never know if they are bringing a knife to a gun fight. If a car fully developed to the "non-rules" ruleset was to come out with the intention of making SPO or SPM their primary class you could have a 1200 hp SPO car that weighed nothing and runs on 16 inch radial slicks or a V10 3 liter Formula One car with a Legends body on it dropping the SPM lap record at Pacific to under a minute and making those two very quick drivers look like they were out for a Sunday drive. The SP classes are limited pretty much only by your imagination and the depth of your pockets. In general those of us who run there have kept the urge to go berzerk under control and kept it fun ... so far!

Just to give you an idea about the class here in the conference. I crew for Brad Greco in the #32 bright orange rabbit. We run a mild 16v which makes 180whp. We are able to run in the top 10 in group 1 (SPU, SPO, SPM, Pro3) at most tracks with the new motor (ran 150whp 8v previously). In class, we do ok, but the cars that are above us are making 250hp or more, and are basically tube chassis and fiberglass/composite bodies. Our car is essentially a stock rabbit, cage, lexan rear windows, a decent set of coilovers and some DOT r-compounds. Weight and HP is the name of the game in SP, so if you want to win, you will need a lot of ponies and a VERY well setup car.

Mazdas seem to dominate us when they show up, those little rotaries are nutty!

So to answer your question, no you most likely will not be competitive unless that little 8v is cranking out nearly 200hp or more. Whether or not you would have fun is a completely different topic of course haha!

Nutty? We are not nutty, just different.
Our RX7 was not a tube frame (sold it) and it did very well in SPU, so does our RX3. 250 hp is not that far off, but its weight and brakes that make me smile (little of the first, lots of the second). 25 ish with the chicane at PIR, 32 ish at pacific and 12-13 at mission and you can do that with a tub car, but none of that matters if you aren't having fun. Find someone to race with, regardless of class, and mix it up.
I am now officially going through withdrawls.......now back to painting our buddy's race car.

Jeff
www.retroracingteam.com

Back