Spokane June T&T SOVERN report

greg_coffin

Having logged about 3 hours of track time on the new layout between the test and tune in the Mygale and as an exhibition class entry in the Swift DB-3 I can say that it is indeed an improvement over the old layout.

The new part of the track begins at turn 8, a 180 degree slightly banked left hander. Corner entry is wide right to get a good run thru the esses on the way back to the straight, however if you leave the inside open there is lots of room to be pass under braking, but if you pinch down to keep this from happening the car behind can take the normal line and will become a problem because they will have better top speed on the straight.....

Turn 9 is the a right hand sweeper that is the first of the esses. Get this one right and the rest, 10 and 11 are very straight forward. Nice rhythm through all of these new turns and good grip.

There is also a bit more pavement and some fia teeth scattered about the course all are improvements....especially the hair pins.

As for top speed all I can comment on is F2000. From the exit of turn 8 to the brake zone for turn 2 we run wot on the new track as well as the old. Exit speed out of the new turn 8 is about 85 mph, where as exit speed onto the old straight was 100 mph. The surprise is that we were seeing top speeds within less than 5 mph of the old configuration (above 140 mph acceleration gets pretty pedestian due to high drag and low horse power). Lap times for all 4 local F2000's that ran were 7-11 seconds less than the old track configuration and should continue to be reduced since (at least in my case) as guests of SOVERN everyone drove with a fair bit of caution.

Should have some video to post by tommorow

Back