So we all know that racers don't steal from racers.......

vw16vracer

I had my transponder at the start finish line last weekend and noticed I wasn't getting lap times on Sunday morning. I then forgot to grab my transponder on Sunday afternoon and Gary Bockman grabbed it for me and returned it to me this week without the battery and wire harness to the transponder. He said that when he grabbed it there was no battery or connecting wires on the transponder, hence the reason I wasn't getting times on Sunday morning. If you know anything about this or saw anything shady on Saturday afternoon or night I would be interested in knowing what happened to my battery.

Jon Bonforte
White 16V Golf
G2 #99

They were running in between the rain showers but they shouldn't be on the infield side of the track. I know there is nothing keeping them from coming over, I just want to know if someone saw anything fishy. Yes it was on the infield side of start finish.

>>................So we all know that racers don't steal from racers....... <<

Jon:

1. I am very sorry you lost the battery to your transponder.

2. The tittle of your thread implies questionable behavior possibly directed at other racers. I am hoping that you are not inferring that another racer could have possibly stolen your battery.

This is my third season of racing. I can only say that I've never been around a group as generous and as giving as our fellow racers.

Thanks to another racer, I was able to race on Sunday.

I broke a CV joint and fellow racer, Bob Posner, said .........."here, take my half axle so you can race Sunday and give it back to me when you can".

This is an example of the generosity and the good will amongst racers that contradicts any notion, .................. that another racer could have possibly stolen a transponder battery. It is obtuse to even suggest that another racer would have stolen a $50.00 transponder battery.

I am hoping that, somehow, I misinterpreted the tenor of your post, if so I look forward to being corrected.

"J.C." Cuevas

P.S. Get a wired in transponder. You will never "lose" your battery and you will never forget to turn on your transponder.

I was confused as well, but I believe what he is talking about is his timing beacon attached to battery at the side of the track. Sensor on the car triggers lap times to a display I'm guessing.

Typically they are powered by anything from a garden tractor or cycle battery up to a car battery. Again, just guessing as this is not the most clearly written post I've ever read, but sounds like he got the beacon back, but not the battery or battery leads.

Sorry for the confusion, yes it is the beacon on a tri-pod attached by a wire to a small battery on the ground at the start finish line. Gary only found the beacon attached to the tri-pod, no wire, no battery. I wasn't getting times in my car on Sunday morning and I was on Saturday afternoon. My logic puts the loss of the wire and battery some time between the end if G2 qual on Saturday and G2 qual Sunday morning.

I never implied that it was any one of us that walked off with said battery and wire hence "racers dont steal from racers". What I was looking for from our close knit group of racers was someone saw someone that looked like they didn't belong lurking around start finish line on our side of the track. It isnt that big of a deal and we can all keep our eyes out for little things like this when we are at the track. I will be looking closer at things now when I am at the track to help my fellow Confrence racers.

Back