Rolled my car at Pacific this weekend - Thanks for the help!

mikecolangelo

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the Rescue Crew, flaggers, EMTs, stewards, etc. who helped get me out of my rolled over car at the track today, checked me out, and ensured that I was OK. Also, thanks to the guys who helped push my damaged car onto the trailer.

And, as some may have heard, with my car turned upside down and with my helmet and HANS still on , I discovered that I could not egress from my car. You see, my car has a full containment seat and I couldn't make it past the seat's "wings". After I released my harness (I should have waited for the Rescue Crew before doing that!), I dropped upside down onto the ceiling (now the floor) and my helmeted head was pressed against the ceiling and scrunched against my chest. I was unable to undo the helmet strap. Fortunately, a rescue worker was able to undo it for me and then I was able to remove my helmet and HANS inside the car, put it aside, and then crawl out through the passenger side. Thank God there wasn't a fire!

I'll add that with the car right side up and door open, I could egress with my helmet and HANS on. It just doesn't work when upside down.

I think full containment seats are a great idea, but it just wasn't good for me in my car (a Honda CRX). It might work well in a more spacious car such as a Mustang or E30.

Anyway, just my $0.02. ;-)

Mike,

You asked for this at the track but if you've changed your mind just let me know and I'll take it down.

http://youtu.be/RK561nnSiZU?hd=1

No, it's fine. Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out why the car snapped to the left like that. I might have put the left front into the dirt or maybe I lifted (but I'd expect the car to snap to the right coming out of a right hand turn if I lifted). I don't think there was a suspension failure, although I still need to check that. Wish I had in-car video running.

Last edited:
Mike, you said you had a Traqmate right? Video would be certainly helpful but the accelerometers alone should give you a good idea.

Michael,

I didn't realize from our conversation you did a headstand. Mercy. I certainly missed that part of the story. Now knowing that, I'm doubly glad you are well.

Jim

Sounds like you and the car fared well at least. From the video, it looks like your car lazily rolled over on its top (almost no forward momentum) which was really lucky for you.

Your comments about full containment seat is something I have thought about as well.. It's almost one of those "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. While it's probably rarer that someone ends up shiny side down, I am sure the emergency crew have a tough time getting at and releasing HANS devices with the upper wings in the way even with the car right side up.. But I will let one of them comment more on the subject if they have seen any issues..

I'm pretty sure the spin was from a lift after an oversteer condition just before the apex. You can see the back end step out just before the apex. At that point it looks like a steering correction to catch the oversteer combined with PRESUMABLY a lift caused the snap spin to the outside. Essentially, the snap to the outside looks like an over correction due to the lift.

As Eric pointed out, the accelerometer data should give you an idea. A data system with throttle position and steering would be invaluable in diagnosing it.

Glad the driver is okay.

Hats off to you, Michael, for wanting to make this a learning experience. Accidents and errors will happen, but bringing some learning away from them is good for all of us. There's always something more to learn.

As I mentouined on FB it sure looks like you clipped the curb and it tossed you left. Hard to tell from that vid, but it sure looks like it.

Glad to hear you are ok. After watching some of the NASCAR guys this season rolling cars they are having the same difficulty.

The initial rear tail wag was before the curb. Watch it at full speed, and it is more pronounced. I'l bet a small counter steer was input, then a lift which caused the front to bite and shoot back to the left.

Back