Recommendations for a roll cage builder?

Simon Tuman

As the Shark is getting closer to completion I realize that safety is #1 and the thought of a used bolt in roll cage seems less appealing. Budget is limited, so Im not looking for anything wild, at the very least a 4 point, but Id like a 6 or 8 though it all depends on cost.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon-
I understand your concerns but if safety is truly number one you may not get the quality you need by limiting budget. This is a very important piece of safety equipment and it requires expertise. Hopefully there are other areas of your build that can do with a little less. My recomendation is Ken Dye at DnD fabricating in Puyallup, 253.435.1616. I base this recomendation on viewing cages at the track and personally having one of his cages in my PRO-7. Hope this helps, Duane

If you're looking for something further north than Puyallup, the guy who builds cages at Cantrell Motorsports (425.820.0231) in Kirkland built the cage in my first car (when he was at another shop) and I've also seen some nice cages built by Jerold Lowe (206.355.2898) in Maltby. Ditto for cages built at TC Motorsports in Auburn (which is back down south, I know).

If you are in Snohomish County give Doug Chase at ChaseRace a call. He is over in Woodinville/Duvall area and does excellent work and builds strong cages (does a lot of rally car builds as well as road racers). Let him know I sent you his way.

http://www.chaserace.com/

You will find a wide range. It of course depends on how many extras and options you include as well. I found a range for my E30 from $2K-$8K.

Simon,

Check the SCCA GCR pages 102 to 115 cover the roll cages.

Page 108 has a table of tubing size to car weight that may help.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

Another recommendation for Pat at Pat's Autosport. He did my last cage it was the best one I've had done. Very reasonable prices too.

Robb just did a cage for me- I'm very happy with it. There are pictures of it in progress on his Godspeed Fabrication facebook page, and you can see his fitment as he's going.

t

Simon, as a long time turn worker, I have seen a lot of carnage and some pretty much death defying crashes.
We want to see you walk away and wave to your screaming, adoring fans.

Make your car SAFE, and there are somethings that really shouldn't be scrimped on.....pretty paint with cool gagets and gizmos can come later with all your prize money. LOL (after you buy the beer)

We do cages.
They start at $2K. Other thas basic design which is tightly mandated, the big deal in a cage is the time it takes to get a really good fit. Don't scrimp on wall and diameter here. For all the prize money we get, you would be a real idiot to get hurt or dead because you tried to save a couple of pounds or bucks on material.
B.T.W. when is S.C.C.A. going to get off this six or eight point mounting point B.S. Cages should be attached in as many places as possible: "The cage adds strength to the car / the car adds strength to the cage".
A bigger question: When is Conference going to become a real sanctioning body and quit following every poorly thoughtout rule or trend that S.C.C.A. comes up with?

Bill Murray
Master Mechanics Incorporated
Portland
503-238-8877
(My day job)

We do cages.
B.T.W. when is S.C.C.A. going to get off this six or eight point mounting point B.S. Cages should be attached in as many places as possible: "The cage adds strength to the car / the car adds strength to the cage".

Bill Murray
Master Mechanics Incorporated
Portland
503-238-8877
(My day job)

Bill,

OH, Yes you can use as many mounting point as you want, even weld the cage to the roof...

But you have to be building an American Sedan !!!!

The drivers asked for and got the rules for A/S changed to alow use to build a better and safer cage than before.

Our A/S engines are putting out over 400 ++++ HP now with the new engine rules, and with our higher speeds we needed a better cage.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC and SCCA

cages start around $2000. I don't know of any sanctioning body that will allow a 4 point cages. 6 points min. with forward foot protection stongly recomended. I can get it done for you in 2 to 3 days depending on how much disassembly you do yourself. call me at DND fabricating (253)435-1616.

What everyone is politely not telling you, Simon, is that these S&W cages that you are looking at are not very strong. The cages are not strong, and therefore your race car body will have more flex affecting your handling and your safety in the event of an accident. When I started racing a Miata (well into last century, sheesh), I went with an Autopower cage to save bucks. It was junk, and THEN I got a good cage welded in. Take the shortcut, get a good cage, live long and prosper.

Back