Race Monitor Race Tracking System

Littlevees

Jim Venable
Hey all,

Below are links to information about a program known as Race Monitor which is separate from and doesn't interfere with our timing system. It appears this would add some extra enjoyment to those attending race weekends as well as those who can't.

The tracks link below states it's compatible with MyLaps, Orbits, Westhold, or MotoSponder. Are we utilizing one of these as our scoring system?

You may have to copy and paste the below links.

Thanks,
Jim

Product story. http://ekartingnews....e-enjoy-racing/

Tracks: https://www.race-monitor.com/Home/Tracks

Q & A https://www.race-monitor.com/Home/FAQ

Yes, we use an AMB scoring system which I believe has now rebranded itself associated with MyLaps.

Its more than a simple switch - in order to be scored live it requires the scoring system be connected continuously to the internet. We currently use Verizon air cards to connect our remote scoring people (those excellent and hard working volunteers who spend the weekend in the scoring bus at Pacific or in a specified scoring building at the Ridge) with the excellent and hardworking volunteers in Drivers Services and Registration via the internet. This has allowed us to have access to the internet without relying on the availability and stability of outside vendors but also has its limitations. It makes good communication and modest data transmission handy but might not be nearly as handy or affordable under the demands of continuous internet broadcast. I have to admit that I dont actually know the requirements of the Race Monitor system, but I can tell you that up to now neither Pacific nor The Ridge is perfect for cellular data transmission signal strength. Hopefully that continues to improve. I think last time we were at The Ridge they may have had some stable internet access available to us - I would have to check with the Drivers Services pros. ( Dont ever underestimate these gals - they make more happen under higher stress and lower resources .... I think that most racers have no idea the amount of irreplaceable knowledge and creativity borne of crisis our volunteers have. 'Nuff said ) It also requires that the people who want to utilize it have access to the internet - wifi has not been as useful as we had hoped over spaces the size of a race paddock. The solution is likely to be cellular devices with data plans - that way the people who want the data provide their own connectivity.

Anyway - Several of us have talked about things like this for years. I have had race monitor on my android tablet for a while now and watched a majority of the most recent 25 Hours of Thunderhill with race monitor showing continuous scoring next to my computer showing streaming in car camera footage. Absolutely brilliant, was as close to being there as I could manage. I love the idea of having scoring data available to everyone with a data equipped cellular device. Technology is finally reaching a point where this is becoming increasingly possible, but it isnt simple quite yet. No matter what - the timing, scoring, and regular operation of a race week-end CANNOT be impacted by the addition if such a feature. We already have a minimum number of required volunteers who are working to their practical limits. What will make something like this happen is for someone to volunteer their personal time and attention to accomplishing it and being resonsible for it. Wishing that the clubs will just add it to the list of things we already dont have the manpower to do will not.

Is that you?

This type of race monitor is ran by a third party vender where a group signs up for services to provide the race timing thru a internet connection, like your phone, or even on your computer.

Once a group signs up for the service, the the group lists the events with them and then on race day you have to login into their server and once you do that the local timing will be 'talking' to their server which will in turn broadcast to the internet.

A few years ago, I remember when at that time, I belive it was Martin, tryed this but for some reason it did not work right.

The only thing that is required, is an account with the service, a connection from the timing computer to the internet.

I also tryed to provide a local non internet monitor service at Pacific for IRDC and was told that the service was not only not needed but not wanted, so their for it was not been online for the last few years.

I do provide the local service for both SCCA and SOVREN and at the May 3day SCCA we also do this online race Monitor, has worked great the last two years.

WE AT TC HOPE TO HAVE THIS WORKING FOR OUR RACE!

TC and ORP is conducting tests for live timing and scoring on March 15th and March 29th. Our plan is to attempt to provide this service Via Cellular and or Local paddock internet for our July event. Not making out right promise, but that is our intention, and we have the backing of ORP IT at this point.

Since Verizon just added a new tower in Grass Valley, the Verizon signal is ideal for this. AT&T not so much.

Cheers
Peter Belfanti
TC race chairman 2014

Back