Proposed new road course in Shelton (90 minutes' drive from Seattle)

This was anounced at the last IRDC meeting, and it is supposedly the real deal. I believe there are some IRDC members involved in this facility which I think is great. I heard about it 3 years ago but naturally didn't give it much credence because these types of rumors are always out there.
When this comes on line we will six tracks on which to play in the NW!

Track to be designed by Johannes van Overbeek???

He's one of the worlds TOP Porsche drivers in ALMS (and any where else in the world). Based out of California and with a new team for ALMS owned by Scott Sharp running Ferrari F430's with a shop down in Florida.

How did he end up as the track designer I wonder? Hope Scott will give him the time off :)

Lets hope this gets fast tracked through the Mason County approval process.

Being from Portland I didn't know where this area was.
When I looked it up I see it's near the Olympia National Forest and the average rainfall for the county is 64 inches. But, apparently it can get up to 164 inches!
Is this really a feasible location for a motor sports facility?

This has been under development for some time now. What the effort needs more than anything else right now is supportive comments on the racin in mason website. Please try to refrain from speculation for now, it could damage the effort to overcome the inevitable political hurdles that a new track in today's world faces.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, there will be an official announcement forthcoming.

Thanks

Is it speculation Randy, or just simple curiosity by racers who want to know more about this deal? Stifling the excitement and asking us to stay quiet isn't very realistic in my always humble opinion, but I agree that any negative input should be avoided. Questions about track location or basic logistics certainly would not be harmful would they?
If this proposed facility isn't directly related to Conference, then why would a formal announcement by forthcoming? Or do you mean an announcement from the people involved in the facility? I have heard a few names bandied about, but it will be interesting to throw off the cloak of secrecy and find out who is really behind this so we can applaud and support them for their efforts to date.

Being from Portland I didn't know where this area was.
When I looked it up I see it's near the Olympia National Forest and the average rainfall for the county is 64 inches. But, apparently it can get up to 164 inches!
Is this really a feasible location for a motor sports facility?

Mason county does indeed include a rain forest. However, the local area where the track location is proposed actually has an average rainfall that is lower than the national average during the heart of the Pacific Northwest's traditional Racing/DE season (May - Sept).
Some points of reference: The curve is nearly identical to those of Auburn, WA (PR) and Portland, OR (PIR) during those months.

Winter months of Nov - Jan are where those high rainfall averages come from. Could make for some interesting off-season enduros, no?

prc23298.png

Well so it rains a bit.........how many still talk and lament about Wetwood, sorry, Westwood?
Racing in hot weather........not real comfortable either.

As for making a public announcement. The cat seems to be out of the bag, but maybe we could just let the interested parties/developers do their job and wait for more info when they feel the time is right?
My .02 cents CDN worth.

(BTW, the only ideal racing conditions exist in your living room with your playstation and that's just not the same)

Shelton's in the rain shadow. The Peninsula is very, very complex when it comes to weather, and about the only generalization that's true of it is that it has some.

Nice! One of the things to keep in mind, too, is that most of the local car clubs don't get lapping days on weekends any more, so that if there are more weekend dates available,
there are a bunch of petrolheads waiting in their garages, helmets on, ready to go. So I think there's a market for more tracks...

I'll go.

t

Back