Potential Newbie

FFRSpec72

I'm moving from the Austin Texas to Kirkand area. My daughter and I have been participting in NASA here in Texas. I have a Factory Five Spec Racer (Cobra) and looking to continue the fun.

What is the size of this group?

-Tony

(I found the licence and classification rules)

Last edited:
Welcome to the PacNW!

The Conference rules and classifications can be found on the main ICSCC site here: http://icscc.com/tech.php

Many of the classificiations are standard SCCA rules. I only speak from basic familiarity and not as a registrar or anything but the several clubs that compose conference(Cascade, IRDC, TC, SCCBC, NW motorsports) have a couple hundred members each. Our last race here in Portland had 230-ish entries over the 7 run groups, with Groups 2 and 5 being the largest.

Check out the classifications at the link above and I am sure others will chime in with helpful and more exact stats.

Many of the classificiations are standard SCCA rules.

Thanks, it was mostly NASA where I was in Texas, so have to see how different the NASA and SCCA rule sets are. Looks like I would run in IRDC (since I'm in the Seattle area) and now I understand that IRDC is a group within ICSCC.

Looks like classification wise I will be screwed, but maybe if the ST class gets going I could run in that as the FFR spec racers run in ST2 class in NASA if they don't run in the FFR class.

The FFSR would run in Group 1 as an SPO car, certainly. You'd have fun there, but the
true SPO cars (right now a bunch of stock cars) would outgun you.

Conference can
match you up with similar- performing GT (maybe 2?) cars in Group 4.
From 1302.d.1 in the comp regs
If the car is not classified by SCCA the Race Steward
will assign a GT class to the vehicle, using the guideline of what
similar type cars are classified by SCCA.

So there's 2 possiblities right off the bat...

See you out there,
t

The more cars in ST, the merrier. Our proposed ST is not, I think, the same as NASA's ST: it's more like the GTS classes. (Not familiar with NASA's ST, so I might be wrong.)

There is a local SCCA licensed driver Ken Olson that runs his FFSR in SPO with us in Conference (ICSCC).

Although IRDC is the club based closest to the Seattle area you can join any of the Conferance affiliated clubs you want.

Welcome to the area and hope you come race with us.
Bring some rain tires..you will need them and if you run the March Enduro race you might need snow tires...LOL

Hi Tony,

I'm in the Bothell area, which means we'll practically be neighbors. Give me a ring when you get settled, let's have some beers, and I'll help you get going with ICSCC.

You'd have fun there, but the
true SPO cars (right now a bunch of stock cars) would outgun you.

Yea @ 230 RWHP not sure I would have a chance. I will have to check around to see if other FFR Spec Racers have run with SCCA and what class they ran.

Yea @ 230 RWHP not sure I would have a chance. I will have to check around to see if other FFR Spec Racers have run with SCCA and what class they ran.

I have an underpowered car also much less the your's.
But the big horsepower cars don't always finish ;)

.... I will have to check around to see if other FFR Spec Racers have run with SCCA and what class they ran.

Tony,

WELCOME to the area. When you get here, if you contact ANY of the guys above, they will be a big help getting started. You certainly want to have a chat with Randy Blaylock as he's the License Director and can get you on the right path :)

Sadly, you've choosen the right-path, Grasshopper. SCCA up here doesn't have a lot of activity. Their 'typical' season of racing is 3 or 4 regional races on an airport runway circuit and a Double National at Pacific Raceway. The sadly is, SCCA doesn't have a strong program.

On the other hand ICSCC has 12 to 13 races a year and 2 Endurance races (if that interests you) :) Plus, ICSCC runs about 14 or 15 Drivers Schools are year (to SCCA's ZERO).

Where ever your car fits in ICSCC, you'll have FUN racing!

P.S.
I have seen where the FFSR 'cobra' is put in to GT-1 by SCCA. It may not be your ideal 'home' and ICSCC can probably give you a better 'fit' (as stated above) depending on your car.

Last edited:
Bring some rain tires..you will need them and if you run the March Enduro race you might need snow tires...LOL

yea rain will be a problem as the car is not really a car that likes the rain and have not had much pratice in the rain in Texas as is it rains its a down pour and then track is dry right after and only had to deal with run-off and corner puddles.

This group looks real interesting and I'm looking forward to meeting you all

On the other hand ICSCC has 12 to 13 races a year and 2 Endurance races (if that interests you) :) Plus, ICSCC runs about 14 or 15 Drivers Schools are year (to SCCA's ZERO).

So my daughter is off to her first year of college (in Oregon) this year but she was running NASA Time Trials (licence required, open passing, about the level of practice or qualifing sessions in NASA, but not full racecraft prepared cars) is there anything like that in ISCC? She is a liitle too small for the FFR.

So my daughter is off to her first year of college (in Oregon) this year but she was running NASA Time Trials (licence required, open passing, about the level of practice or qualifing sessions in NASA, but not full racecraft prepared cars) is there anything like that in ISCC? She is a liitle too small for the FFR.

Well sort of. The clubs making up ICSCC have lapping days for drivers at various levels. In addition, at the Portland International track and at Pacific Raceway, when drivers schools are held (usually before our race weekends on Friday) they have some lapping sessions included. There are plenty of opportunity's for her to do lapping.

Matter of fact, the ICSCC drivers schools draw a LOT of would be racers AND people who want a day session with an instructor in the car. Good experience and at the end of the day, you choose to go racing or take the knowledge gained and go lapping.

The Proformance Driving School at Pacific also conducts open lapping days several times a month and of course marque clubs hold lapping days where they allow other marques to run to spread the costs.

This is very true. Tony I came from SCCA Track Trials in 2007/2008 to ICSCC this year. I can speak first hand of both organizations.

Randy and some of the others here regularly are just a few of the people who helped me find my way to learn and enjoy it. A very good group of people who will help anybody with questions or seeking advice.

This region of SCCA is lacking. I won't go on about it here except to say you would be much better off with the ICSCC Clubs schools/lapping days then you would in SCCA TT events as they are much better structured and more real world.

As for yourself don't worry about the class or your cars competitiveness. You will have somebody to race and play with and you will have a great time. ICSCC sanctions races on 4 different tracks (soon to be 5) all around the Pacific Northwest from Canada to Oregon to Kent (south of Seattle area) to Spokane which is as far east as the state goes. Each of these tracks is different in its own way.

As for the novice program Randy would be the one to talk with but feel free to contact me also if you wish I would be glad to help also. I started the season as a total novice and have upgraded to my race license. I highly recommend it as it is a fantastic experience.

You are coming to the one of the best if not the best grassroots racing organizations in the country. “Run by racers for the racers” is 100% true. The 50+ year history speaks to its success.

Jump aboard.

yea rain will be a problem as the car is not really a car that likes the rain and have not had much pratice in the rain in Texas as is it rains its a down pour and then track is dry right after and only had to deal with run-off and corner puddles.

This group looks real interesting and I'm looking forward to meeting you all

Welcome to the ICSCC and the Pacific Northwest.

Regarding the rain, I've had very little opportunity to race in the rain this year and I've been to every sprint race weekend except for the one in Spokane. In fact, I can only think of two sprint races this year where I actually raced in the rain and in both cases it was short duration and light rain.

Ironically, I got more wet weather driving time last year when I lived California!

You are coming to the one of the best if not the best grassroots racing organizations in the country. “Run by racers for the racers” is 100% true. The 50+ year history speaks to its success.

Great to hear as that is what NASA was in Texas, more grassroots than SCCA. So I been cleared to run as rookie (novice is what I guess ICSCC calls it) and have to run 6 races before I can get my licence, so that will not happen as we only have one event left in Texas this year. So will have to talk to the licence director (Randy) to see what I need to go through here.

You all are very responsive and helpful, many thanks for that!

I see that IRDC has a race in Sept. can one come and meet folks and watch for a few hours ? I guess first step is becoming a ICSCC member.

You can attend any race you want without also necessarily joining a club. Admittance is usually free, although not always (or, maybe, that should be "not anymore") at Pacific Raceways.

Tony you have to run 3 novice races minimum to advance from your novice to your area license, and another 3 races with the seniors will usually get you your gold (senior) license. So the process may be similar to down there.
Don't let the rain bother you, most of our events are dry, or as was said before, on/off drizzle or sprinkles. When it does rain though, normally early or late season, it can come down in buckets - all day!
Come see me or my partner Bruce Boyd the race chair at the IRDC September race and we'll give you the guided tour of PR.

Wes Tipton

From the lands of beyond to our small section of the Universe.

From the southern territories of the Conference 'family', I'd like to welcome you, and your family to a whole and hopefully refreshing perspective on competition road racing here in the Great Northwet.

Don't worry much about joining stuff until you become comfortable with your options. The only 'CLUB' that you will be compelled to join is the club in the locale most convenient to you. Usually an entry discount goes along with the races that 'your' club will host for Conference, or perhaps any driver training days.

In your case, you'll want to check out the IRDC website... http://www.irdc-racing.com/. And study Section 3 of the ICSCC Regs mentioned above, and as you interface with Randy, you may begin your forage into ICSCC sanctioned racing events through the Novice program.

There is a different perspective within the Conference, as you may have noticed already, but we are all participants of the one great sport of motor-racing, and we all play with whom we chose.

The clubs of the Conference may be easily compared to SCCA, or NASA's Regional level of operations and event hosting, only with ICSCC as the sanctioning body for those events. Each club's ICSCC licensed driver population is represented to the ICSCC by an Executive Board Rep, and also a Competition Board Rep which are elected/appointed/chosen by those individual member-clubs according to the member-clubs own set of by-laws.

This approach enables the member-clubs themselves to be as diverse as they may, while serving their own membership, and not be 100% bound, and subject to only one sanctioning body. That's the biggest difference from SCCA, and NASA, right there.

Regardless of others' issues with those sanctioning entities, we have a great time with many opportunities and race tracks with which to ply our hobby/vocation.

Feel free to come and enjoy the racing, but be aware that as a volunteer organization, any hand available to work the race course (F&C, Pre-Grid, Tech, Safety, etc), and other adminstrative aspects (Registration, T&S, etc.) are most appreciated regardless of which club, or what track the event is being held on.

Please be our guest We're all "Free" spirited thought processors here.

See you soon.

(psst, you can always crew for somebody at the IRDC races and get in for free.
And learn a LOT about how we play/work in a few short hours)

t

Back