Portland Weather??

Bill Bonsell

Ok...I admit it. I don't like racing in the rain. And I certainly don't want to travel down and back in a motor home at 8 mpg, etc, etc and face wet conditions for most of a race weekend. So.....would fellow racers from Portland, please play weatherman for me and tell me by mid day tomorrow, Thursday, what they think will happen weather wise based upon Portland weather forecasts. At current 30% chance for Saturday and 20% chance for Sunday, is it going to be wet? I'm from the Bremerton area and 30% means it's wet for most of the day...that's my take after living here for 20 years.

And please, no comments about the "learning experience" and the "if your fast in the wet your fast in the dry". Too old and I choose not to minimize my fun by dealing with a wet track. Thanks guys and the registration numbers look fantastic. 41 now in Group 2....but will I be there?? :smile:

Bill-

Geez, you guys. "Oh no, it might rain." Of course it might rain. It's the Pacific Northwet. It ALWAYS might rain.

It certainly does dampen the bang on the bucks, so we try not to talk about it too much. Bad Mojo.

Fortunately, PIR usually has the better odds for dry this weekend than those further north, so you'll just have to keep an eye on the barometer. So we can talk about the weather, or use all the references at our fingertips and be about as accurate as any high profile TV meteorillogicist.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=97222#PWS

We all hope you can make it work.

Ok Ken.....

Tomorrow (Thursday) is a 20% chance of rain. Barometer currently 29.9 as of 11pm Wed. So post a replay around noon tomorrow and let us know if it is, in fact, showery in Portland. How's that? I'll check the forum around 2pm and make a decision at that time whether we bring two cars or one. My son wants to come rain or shine....but I will bag the racing if wet and just be the spotter. So just post the weather report around noon for us guys up north. Thanks....

Bill-

Love racing in the rain. Sitting in the paddock in the rain or sitting at home in the rain sucks. I'll be there rain or shine!

Love racing in the rain. Sitting in the paddock in the rain or sitting at home in the rain sucks. I'll be there rain or shine!

The thread ain't about whether you like the rain or not...just trying to get some help from the Portland folks as to what 30% or 20% chance of rain historically means for PIR! Are you in Portland?

Bill-

Other suggestion, Bill.
Bring both cars. Just don't go out on track in yours if the rain really sets in.

We do understand. Unless you actually enjoy racing in the rain (like a few odd people we know...) or need the points for a championship run, there's not much payback in doing it. No lap records; much higher potential for $ bills. Although, some tracks are worse than others in the rain. PIR being one of the best.
Still, your choice.

Other suggestion, Bill.
Bring both cars. Just don't go out on track in yours if the rain really sets in.

We do understand. Unless you actually enjoy racing in the rain (like a few odd people we know...) or need the points for a championship run, there's not much payback in doing it. No lap records; much higher potential for $ bills. Although, some tracks are worse than others in the rain. PIR being one of the best.
Still, your choice.

Really trying not to have to gas up two gas guzzlers for the 350 mile round trip...but only have a few hours to make the call...if we bring Brian's #426 we need to get mine out of the trailer and load his...and we are both working today til after 6....decisions, decisions.....

Bill-

Really trying not to have to gas up two gas guzzlers for the 350 mile round trip...but only have a few hours to make the call...if we bring Brian's #426 we need to get mine out of the trailer and load his...and we are both working today til after 6....decisions, decisions.....

Bill-

Are we having fun yet?

It was really nice here this morning but now we've got overcast conditions.

Based on the forecast changes over the past day and the weather this morning and right now, I think we'll see scattered light rain on Saturday. AT worst Toyo rain, not Hoosier Wet rain.

But since the weatherman get paid to get it wrong, this prediction is worth what I was paid to make it ;) Nonetheless I can't wait... should be a fun weekend.

Bill, just click the link any time. It will bring up current conditions. And if you click the "WunderMap" link it shows all the stations and temps and doppler, and you can even move the map to your area and see why it's raining on you.

You really can't get much more up to date than that.

Its been dry all day here in Longview, in spite of the look to the clouds and the current radar that makes it look like its raining. If it is raing up there, it is not making it to the ground. Supposedly a 20% chance of rain tonight. Maybe so if you count some light sprinkles as rain. Pack the car and come on down.

Really appreciate all the reports and messages of encouragement. I am a "glass half full" type of personality, but with a limited budget this year and a soul searching commitment to myself to leave the wet track to others, I am spending Saturday at my grandson's 9th birthday party and going to look at a 85 E30 BMW as a potential track car project. I will visit Portland for the Doernbacher. Hope everyone has a safe race weekend, rain or shine!!

Bill-

ps: Eric...you better put Mike in his place...HA!

Bailing bill... Love the good trash talk though. So Brian is still coming right? We might have to have him paddock near us to keep him in the family.

Nope sorry Mike...we are both going to be no shows. We both have the next 3 days off, so we are working on the S2 and pulling stumps on his property....truly hope it's dry for u guys, but I just didn't want to risk it.

Bill-

an 85 bmw you say as a track car...you could turn it in to an ITA car :D

Tell me more Eric....I guess it doesn't work as a Pro3 car (wrong year) as it has the M10 motor, but it does have some suspension goodies already. HR Springs, Bilsteins...just doesn't run att. PM if you'd like....

Bill-

You guys have an S2 Bill? I didn't know that. Very cool!
BTW, I love racing in the rain, but since my rain tires are Goodyear dog bones from the 80's I don't see the point until new tires can be found, (afforded).

You guys have an S2 Bill? I didn't know that. Very cool!
BTW, I love racing in the rain, but since my rain tires are Goodyear dog bones from the 80's I don't see the point until new tires can be found, (afforded).

Yeah Wes, picked it up from Colangelo 3 weeks ago. Very nice car...currently replacing the tensioner pads and plugs. Will then get underneath and make sure everything is tight. Then would like to get it out to the Ridge for a track day, just to see how it would do. My fourth Porsche....previously early 944, 911 and a Boxster.

Bill-

Back