Pit Cart Project

anthonyk

Giant Killer Racing
I got sick of hauling all my tools from the shop to the trailer etc, and as I am sure you all know it is SUPER frustrating when youleave one "special" tool at home as it is sure to the the tool you need at the track. I decided to build a pit cart with the following design attributes.

1. Storage for tools, jack stands and and some spares.
2. Lockable
3. Lightweight (unlike the large Snap-on war wagons etc).
4. Sub $1000 budget

Like all good projects this one starts with a back-of-a-napkin design :)

16kvqls.jpg

The base

24dkbo8.jpg

And the frame as it sits today:

k328a1.jpg

Wheels and steering:

wkh7uo.jpg

The plan is to skin the whole thing in Aluminum with a stainless top. Originally I was going to do the whole thing in 304 sheet until I saw the price of a 4x8 sheet (YIKES!). All 4 sides will have a lockable door on stainless piano hinges for full articulation. As of now I am $500 into the cart with wheels, toolbox and frame.

Anyway any other race car support projects going on this winter?

Regards,

Anthony
Calgary, AB
GT3 1969 BMW 2002
ST / Enduro 1990 BMW M3
Chump / Lemons 1974 w/ m20

Hey Anthony, nice cart!

One thing, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the tie rods need to be connected at the center pivot "rack" so they cross over one another, or the opposite of the way they are in your pic, in order for the ackerman to work.

Hi All,

@ Randy Thanks for the note. You might be right I hadn't thought Ackerman would be a requirement on the cart but now I think about it it may help getting the cart on and off the trailer easier.

The actual wheel base needs to be widened, I had originally conceived of using different wheels but had these and used these as I had them. I will space out the wheels and see how I can adjust if required.

Thanks
Anthony

Back