Passing Of A Legend - Carroll Shelby January 11, 1923 ~ May 10, 2012

racerx69

Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired
Indeed, a man who left a giant mark on the motoring world. A true hero.

In many of these images he has a look of pure joy on his face. Surely a man who found the greatest pleasure while driving and working on cars.

My kind of guy.

carroll-shelby-as-a-young-child-riding-a-peddle-car.jpg

remembering-carroll-shelby-1923-2012.jpg

carroll-shelby-jt-jpg_023709.jpg

carroll-shelby-cobra.jpg

Carroll-Shelby-in-Cobra-Racer-627x459.jpg

carroll-shelby-1923-2012-inline-3-photo-456176-s-original.jpg

cobrasx-wide-community.jpg

carroll-shelby-1923-2012.jpg

carroll-shelby-obituary.jpg&maxh=255&maxw=425

Detroit+Autorama+II+614.jpg

Ahem!

{So there is a limit on how many images I can link to in a post, as if there should be a limit when posting about such a great legend!, so here are the two other images I wanted to place in the post about the passing of the Legend, Carroll Shelby.}

18312030_BG1.jpg

carroll-shelby-jt-jpg_023709.jpg

God gave him a lot of extra years beyond what he should have had. And, he used them wisely.

You just cannot appreciate his total contribution to motor racing and the automobile industry. Clearly as influential as Enzo Ferrari or Dr. Porsche.

The last one isn't a real Shelby

That last pic is of a 67 Shelby clone -- the exhaust is all wrong for any year. Almost all of the real Shelby's are left stock.
I own a 67 GT350 and that's not what the exhaust looks like. And the faithful absolutely hate that stuff.

The bane of Shelby has always been the clones. The Cobra, the Shelbys and especially the clone in the Cage movie Gone in 60 seconds remake.
Ok, so everyone knows it wasn't a real Shelby, but that movie lost all automotive respect when they did a digital car jump. That's just wrong.

Shelby's history will be checkered. The early cars were outstanding, his early race history is the stuff of legends, the Ford guys hated his early Dodge stuff, but the Viper was cool. His litigious lawyers sued anything that walked and he developed a lot of ill will among the faithful. We love him, yet we hate what he tried to do to the national car club (SAAC).
In the end his business side won over his car side and that's too bad.

That last pic is of a 67 Shelby clone -- the exhaust is all wrong for any year. Almost all of the real Shelby's are left stock.

Um, gee, thanks for the details.

I think the intent of the image was to signify the end of the man's life, and his immense contributions to the motorsports world, ergo the backside (or the end) of a car. I have no idea who it was that created the image, but I feel the intent was to show respect to Mr. Shelby. Surely more symbolic than factual.

Having no knowledge of the actual car used in that image myself, I felt it a suitable close to my post.

At least the guy didn't use one of those front wheel drive Dodge Shelby things that came from Detroit in the dying gasps of the muscle car era.

Last edited:
God gave him a lot of extra years beyond what he should have had. And, he used them wisely.

You just cannot appreciate his total contribution to motor racing and the automobile industry. Clearly as influential as Enzo Ferrari or Dr. Porsche.

Without a doubt.

Thanks for posting all the photo's. He was indeed a great man in racing.

You're welcome. ( I wish the admin here had the thanks thingy enabled in the forum software )

Shelby Automotive had some great ads. This is my favorite:

View attachment 964

It was great to watch as Mr. Shelby worked his magic to first learn what they were doing in Europe to win, and then beat them at their own game.

Back