Pacific Raceways Gets County Approval

According to the Seattle Times http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017800440_pacificraceways21m.html it appears as though a huge roadblock has been cleared so that Pacific Raceways can start proceeding with its redevelopment plan. There are a few other steps that they must complete, not to mention gathering together a tidy sum of money to work with, but this must been seen as a huge win for the track.

What thoughts do you have about the reconfiguration of the road course in the redevelopment plan? I wonder if we racers will have any input before they move ahead with changes.

I just checked Pacificraceways.com to see if they still have their masterplan posted, but I couldn't find it. I do remember that they want to move the dragstrip next to the main gate where they are mining gravel currently. There are plans to put in garages and automotive industry businesses on the grounds too. The biggest change that I remember to the road course was at the end of the straight through turns 1 and 2. It will be interesting to watch the progress.

I wonder if we racers will have any input before they move ahead with changes.

My guess is you will have plenty of time to provide input....

FutureMap.jpg

First time seeing that iteration. I like it! That Drag Strip ought to make some of the neighbors happy and from the looks of the earth moving it appears to set down low like the karting track is, this should help reduce the volume.

I count 17 turns/bends/corners. What do y'all come up with?

As I was counting the turns the first thought I had was.. "I need to improve my brake ducts."

The 5-6 complex will be alot slower than it is now. So will turn 9. Looks like lots more braking and slower lap times are in everyones future. Will we live long enough to see them actually make the changes?

As a vee guy, I'm not digging that layout much.. T2 might be my favorite thing about Seattle! Replacing it with a couple of mickey mouse corners doesn't seem right. The back section will suck in a vee if the elevation change remains the same. It's bad enough to come out of 3b and looking up the hill thinking "go, damn it, goooo!!". To have that happen again at T5 will be heartbreaking :)

Geat news on the developement progress. It seems like turns 1&2 could be left alone. The new strip is well into the shut down area when it gets to the existing turn 2. Why would it matter if we cross the strip at that point.It would be a shame to turn a great track into two straights and an auto cross at end.

It seems as though the track plan's ridiculous "solution" to the space problem where turns 1 & 2 are currently could just as easily be made into a single left-arcing Turn 1. Or, just shorten the straight a bit, and re-create the current 1 & 2 again. 2 would have a little different configuration because of where it would have to meet up with the downhill to 3. Leave the back alone. I kind of like that new kink where our current turn 9 is. It would be more interesting for spectators, and that's where everyone watches the races. I wonder if the track will be more open to spectators wandering about the infield on race day. Few other than racers know what the back looks like. One thing is for sure: this is going to cost many millions. Here's hoping!

Higher speed larger radius turns like turn two, especially now that it has some grippy pavement, are something there just aren't enough of at northwest tracks. It would be a shame to lose that configuration because the speed and flow from there down the hill to 3a is really one of the the finest features of that track. With the exception of the 3a and b complex which admittedly have more appeal than a lot of low speed corners, the flow of the track is really enjoyable.

Squaring off 1 and 2 just doesn't look like it will maintain the character of the track IMVHO.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to see Pacific start down the road toward establishing themselves for a much more secure future and certainly I like the idea of safety and functionality upgrades, but I hope they preserve the high speed character of this historic Northwest track!

As it was explained to me and the SOVREN group, by Jason F, the change in turn 1-2b as pictured above, is because if it was left as it currently is, it would over lap the drap strip, preventing both the drag strip and road course from being used at the same time.

The intent is to be able to use both at the same time except for the NHRA nationals and the divisional the following week, which will use the 'old' strip.

Jason told us maybe 7 years back that turn 2 would be extended clear down to the old motocross area because the drag strip wasn't going to come as far toward our track as it now shows on the map. They originally weren't going to change much on the back side, but either way it may be many years before it happens - and when it does it will be VERY expensive to race there.

Jason told us maybe 7 years back that turn 2 would be extended clear down to the old motocross area because the drag strip wasn't going to come as far toward our track as it now shows on the map. They originally weren't going to change much on the back side, but either way it may be many years before it happens - and when it does it will be VERY expensive to race there.

Very true Wes AND, I assure all we will lose at least a full season of access to the track.

banked oval at T-2

Re: T-2 -- 20* Banked oval with catch fence!
T1 to T2 would be a little shorter, but the speed would still be fairly high due to the banking. Plus the vertical G's would be a hoot.

Unless you are the bottom.
Don't be at the bottom.

I'm with you guys on the turn 2 changes. Why would we want a higher-speed sweeper to turn into a box--go, stop, go, stop, go, stop... ?
Sweeper is way more challenging than a box favoring HP.

If the positioning is wrong, they could elongated 2, into a double-apex sweeper.

Does anyone who cares from the track monitor this forum, or do we need to bring our comments to someone personally?

Was there yesterday for the last test n tune of the spring. It again reminded me of how much I love the Turn 1 thru T 3 section. It would be a shame to loose the T2 sweeper.

Bill-

Back