Opinions on this mustang please!!

Wow!! There are many exclamation points in this ad!! My semi-professional opinion of this car is that if all the safety gear is current and brakes work, it could be a good starting point. What classes are you considering, Sean? The car has less than 300h.p. with a 5 liter motor, so it will not all that fast. That is a good thing though when you are getting started.

What class were you thinking of running? Always nice to target a strong group with lots of frienemys and support - with the right weight to power tuning could be a ST car? The NASA specific CMC class doesn't exist in Conference and the car probably doesn't fit well in American Sedan the way it is although I am certainly no authority on that subject. It would be underpowered and underprepared for SPO but still fun as a second class. The car itself appears to be constructed in a safe and well thought out fashion which I would expect from an organization as well respected as Bondurant. Historically school cars are constructed with more handling than horsepower because throttle mashing is much more easily learned than cornering technique and consistency but usually more power is also one of the easiest things to add when you decide you don't have enough.

On another subject - notice that most here currently use their real names? As a club based organization we struggle to maintain familiarity with the large number of members that are a part of our organization and it is nice to allow the rest of us to associate a name with your postings so we have a better chance of engaging each other when we meet at club events. I have the advantage of at least knowing who you are as I was standing with Ron Johnson applauding your finish at the Ridge last weekend - Congrats!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll change my screen name as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the congrats on the upgrade! I really enjoyed running that little rabbit! Keep your eyes open for a short narrative I wrote about the season.... Should be a good read I hope.

As for the car, I think it suits me well. I am a big mustang lover so racing one is a no brainer. There is no cmc in icscc, but I think with a head swap you could run in American sedan. I'm not terribly worried about being super competitive yet, for now I want a car that is fun, and reliable. I think st could be another option for this car too, with aftermarket heads that motor should make about 290 hp. I am also very interested because as a military guy, I could very easily move to an area where nasa is the dominant sanctioning body and there would be cmc racing.

The car looks to be VERY well prepared... And with it's history and records it seems like a lot of car for the money to me.

Thoughts?

Sean

You can make 330 rwhp with heads, intake, cam, MAF and injectors pretty easily, its the weight that you can't change, if you keep it as it is you can run AS and CMC or even AI. Engine as it is is pretty bullet proof under 600 RPM. Check fuel cell (as add says newer, but NASA has a 5 year limit on bladder). Engine setup follows CMC rules as built.

So do you guys think it would be a good buy?

Honestly, no.

IMHO, $13K is a lot of money for a car that most likely won't be competitive in the race classes it will run. Plus, NASA CMC-1 appears to be a dying class.

The seller doesn't say if the car has a NASA or SCCA logbook so that can be an issue, too. Replacing that roll cage if it's not compliant can be expensive.

Also, SN95-generation Mustangs (1994-2004) don't handle all that well compared to many cars that it might compete against, even with many suspension mods. A lot of this has to do with the suspension geometry. I say this as the former owner of a '95 Mustang GT. So, if you're not used to these cars, you might not like how they drive.

In contrast, the S197-generation of Mustangs (2005-2014) have much better suspension geometry and handle surprisingly well.

Having said all that, it looks like a nice car but one that's more suited for HPDE/track days than as a competitive racer.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!

If you could get the guy down under $10K (given the way he talks about it, probably not likely, even if it's a more reasonable price) and were willing to spend the money to get it up closer to 300 HP (or over, ideally, given the weight of the car), I'd say go for it and come run Sport Touring with SPO as a (very uncompetitive) second class. Otherwise, yeah, I'd probably pass on it as a Conference race car at that price.

If you pull the trigger on this I would suggest giving Jerold Lowe a call. He has both raced and developed a number of mustangs with great success and he would most definitely be able to help turn this in to a competitive car whichever class you choose.

Choose ST!

The equation looks like this to me:

This car for the budget racer = never competitive. Not having anyone to compete with in class will get old, very old, very fast. Spending a weekend paddocked next to you I see "competing" as something that's going to be important to you. So what would it take to make this car competitive in ICSCC?

This car looks like something where you'll want to be going faster, sooner and the result will be throwing money, big money, at it to make those gains and in the end, regardless of your talent, it's my opinion that car won't be competitive in ST or SPO without damn near 6 figures thrown at it and I haven't even covered operational costs.

The bigger and faster the car gets the operational cost grows exponentially... Tires, brakes, fuel burn.. everything costs more. I don't know if you're budget minded like myself or you've just won the lottery but regardless of which, I'd look for a different option.

Hey guys.... Thank you for all the advice. Maybe I'll find this to be a mistake, but this car was WAY too nice. I bought it. Slept like a baby last night too. Planning to run in ST!

ill se you in ST with my E36 m3 where im not at the front and don't plan to be with this car. but we should be close in times once yours is sorted out. which also means all those new specE46s should be in the same ballpark in speed too.

SSG Eric Blois #92

Back