On board fire system

FFRSpec72

I'm refurbishing the car, so getting ready to put it all back together and took the fire extinguisher tank to a fire extinguisher company and it all checked out (weight wise) BUT they did not know if there are any time limits (as this is a non-refillable canister). So are there time limit rules?

FireSystem.jpg

According to the label, that fire extinguisher was filled 14 years ago. Why not buy a new one? What do they go for, $20 or so?

According to the label, that fire extinguisher was filled 14 years ago. Why not buy a new one? What do they go for, $20 or so?

I found that Evergreen Fire and Safety may have them and they run about $180 (as the gas is $30+ a pound) so may take a trip up there, but they indicted if it still weighs the same than it is still OK wanted to see if there are any experts here since the this is specific to auto racing.

Last edited:
In Oregon there is, but the service shops are on top of that. They are not allowed to do anything with an extinquisher that has lived beyond it's service life. I'll have to ask again what that age is. If it still shows pressure, weighs right, it's probably okay... but.

When do you want to find out?

I see from the photo that there is a phone number for the original manufacturer (or perhaps retailer) of the bottle. Maybe a quick phone call to them can give you an answer. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel with a 15 year old bottle in my car though.

So glows that ember that will heat up a new supposal that the UL, CSA, and other standardizing bodies (pick one) should lend to qualify a particular service life. Then a candle, lit with a supposed liability if a participant's particular equipment and how it may apply to those qualifications.

'Snuff

In Oregon there is, but the service shops are on top of that. They are not allowed to do anything with an extinquisher that has lived beyond it's service life. I'll have to ask again what that age is. If it still shows pressure, weighs right, it's probably okay... but.

When do you want to find out?

Agree, the age is 16 years old, still has pressure and weighs the same as it did in 1996 and my question is the exactly the BUT ! They also indicated that they don't make the 1301 gas anymore but have a newer version 1211 or Halotron I so that may be also a reason to replace the cylinder. I just replace the fuel cell as it was at past the NASA limit, but I saw no rules for fire system.

...that's because there aren't any... fire systems don't 'age out' like belts are claimed to.

Or tires do.

If it has weight and pressure and is intact, it's considered to be healthy.
Common sense says you should inspect it carefully to make sure you
think the actuating mechanism will work.

If you're uncomfortable with it, replace it. If you have faith in it, you're done.
Just like the rest of your car and racing enterprise. EVERY part of a race
car is a safety item. We use our best judgement, and then go out on track...
on all of it.

t

Last edited:
Spend thousands of dollars to make power. Power comes from making fire, thus make more fire, make more power. So, spend $500 to save tens of thousands when the fire decides to appear outside of the lump (taking out the human element for the moment) is really a no brainer. Now, go buy the April addition of Grassroots Motorsports, and after reading abour the "clearly insane" members of the McClure/Beachman Racing team (yea team!), read the artical about Charles Espenlaub and his experiance with fire at the 25 Hour. Then decide if you want to take a chance with a 16 year old fire system.
BTW, Each of our cars has a new fire system.

Jeff
www.Retroracingteam.com

Another important part of the test is remembering to set the system off when the need arises, and not thinking about it after you've run away (although all things considered, you'd be forgiven). We've seen the fire system goes untouched while the driver bails out.

What goes through your mind? "Unbelt, pull the pin, get out of the car, push/pull the knob, punch out? Pull the pin, toss the belts, loose the steering wheel, punch the button, punch out."

Think about that the next time you practice your escape strategy.

Just sayin'...

Ken you are confusing fire extinguishers with fire systems. Fire extinguishers older that 1984 cannot be serviced per NFPA. Fire systems can be serviced as long as they meet all safety requirements. G

Gordon, I have a complete fire system from a ITS Z car that is available if you want to use it. I don't know if the bottle needs to be updated but all the plumbing is in good shape.

"Ken you are confusing fire extinguishers with fire systems."

I was only considering the bottle, not the system. The rest you can just blow the dust out of, and verify the operation of the releace valve.

But since you bring that up, it's a state's/municipality's choice to create codes, and enforce the NFPA 10: Standard for Portable Fire Extinguishers document. Maybe the standard doesn't cover fire bottles connected to systems. So... okay.

Back