Now about that Group 2 black flag...

You are absolutely right Lynn....no finger pointing here and yes, I did get my initial question answered as to what constitutes an official first lap. The decision to stop the race was proper, whether it was via black flag or red flag. The only decision made, which should not have been made, was to re-grid the cars back to original grid. Clearly the leaders (Heitman, et al) had passed SF before any flags were deployed. I personally was under the Bi-Mart bridge running 15th or so when Duane hit the wall. I certainly appreciate all those dedicated workers and officials who allow us to do this crazy, expensive and sometimes dangerous sport. God love ya!

Bill

As one of the cars that took the green quite well 1st time out, I think I reached as high as 3rd, I was a tad put out about the re-grid. But, I believe the stewards and all concerned made the best decision they could based on the information at hand. I am earnestly appreciative of their diligent hard work as well as the hard work of all the volunteers doing what they believed to be right, based on the best information available at the time.

And they even found time to hydrate the drivers and collect up the empties.

Thank you!

Andy

I (unfortunately) was not racing that weekend but in the stands. Didn't see it first hand, but from where the incident took place and the severity of it there is not doubt in my mind that stopping right then and there was a good call. To parade folks around again to get them to the Hot Pits could have lead to a bad situation with the number of safety and Workers out on track. Way better than taking any chance there. As far as the re-grid. I kinda wondered about that - not that it made the racing less enjoyable once it got restarted. I wish I had been out there.

I..... the severity of it there is not doubt in my mind that stopping right then and there was a good call. To parade folks around again to get them to the Hot Pits could have lead to a bad situation.....

Hence my earlier comment that it sounds like a RED FLAG would have been a good idea. There seems to be this opinion (false) that the only time a RED FLAG should be used is if the track if 'totally' blocked. Just ain't true.

Once you have everybody stopped, the turn workers can explain the severity of the situation to the drivers and tell them to proceed with 'extreme care' (very slow speed) to the designated place.

Looking at a couple of the videos posted I would like to amend,,, almost retract some of what I said above. Looks to me that two laps under green were made, and there was time to decide to bring them in to the Hot Pits instead of going by the incident twice. Almost a couple wrecks in 5/6 gathering everyone up.

No matter how it is sliced, hind-sight is great.

Thank you for your patronage: Last weekends Arm Chair Driver.

Yeah Kyle...your observations after video review are pretty accurate. I am not sure when the DY was displayed to the leaders, but I was running pretty mid pack and I did not see the DY until heading up to 6....my video showed it actually being out at 4 when I went by, but having just started lap 2, that's the last thing you expect to see. I obviously missed it and had to check up pretty fast....I think most everyone toward the front saw it at T6.....the stoppage was the correct call until everything was cleaned up, but I have previously stated my view regarding the gridding back to original position. Not sure if it would have affected my outcome at all, but sure it affected some others. Hopefully, in the future the decision to regrid or not will be looked at a bit more cautiously to make sure the right call is made. As you know, there are often several position changes during the first lap. There are those fighting hard for points and the call does have to be correct IMO.....

Perhaps in the future, especially with very large run groups where first lap issues can often happen, someone can be charged to keep an eye on the overall race leader and chart his or her progress to SF.....

Bill

Wouldn't the simple thing to do is check with timing and scoring if there's a chance of re-grid? They probably know if the first racing lap has been completed.
So if the race has to be stopped with cars single file (on front straight - or hot pits doesn't matter) and it's questionable as to first lap or second lap completed, then just wait for the high sign from them, as the cars are already stopped, and deal accordingly.
Is that too simple and I am missing something? Maybe someone from Timing and Scoring could jump in here in case I am out in left field?

Nope not too simple, Lynn. That would have been a course to take. T/S could easily see on the screen. The Stewards told us they were led to believe that we were on the first lap. The way I recollect. Green flag. Next time by, leader goes under s/f - leader completed lap 1, working lap 2, 57 probably hit the tires near that time. Coming into 4, we went DSYF. Leader goes under s/f (under dysf to find the pacecar waiting for him about entry to 1) - leader completed lap 2, working lap 3. Pacecar has the leader. Leader controls the # of laps.

Back