New version of the forum

Steve Adams

Just this guy, ya know?
Didja notice anything different? Didja, didja?

Er... holy cow, but I had no idea they'd change the interface so radically. I mean, functionally the software is essentially identical to 3.x, given the way I've configured it, but... well. Whuf.

(Yes, I know I can modify/overwrite the current theme, but it's way more work than I have time for at the moment, especially as I'm in the middle of working on a redesign for the site itself.)

I thought I was in the wrong house. But my key fit, so it's just the furniture's been re-stuffed, and upholstered.

Very nice, Steve.

But remember we race in the rain, and many without roofs anyway, so don't feel guilty about not having enough "fluff" if it's still got the stuff.

When I looked earlier today, I was like what happened so I closed and reopened Firefox and well you guessed it I saw the same thing...Looks good!

Yeah at first I thought I had a few too many drinks last night... looks good, but would be better with a ICSCC logo at the top ;)

Had a HECK of a time logging in. In only use TWO passwords for all Internet stuff and neither of them worked. Even though I've had to log in before cause my cookie went bad.

Had to do a complete password reset which involves 2 E-mails (at least the E-mails come through fast).

New format looks "okay" but I'm not sure the 'new posts' light bulbs are working quite right?

So if there are no functional changes, the change is just aesthetics?

If that's the case, it looks like the redesign was done by a 12 year old girl. Soft mutted pastels and shades of grey.

Not a good recipe for ease of reading. The old design had better contrast.

Thumbs down in my book.

Had a HECK of a time logging in. In only use TWO passwords for all Internet stuff and neither of them worked. Even though I've had to log in before cause my cookie went bad.

Had to do a complete password reset which involves 2 E-mails (at least the E-mails come through fast).

New format looks "okay" but I'm not sure the 'new posts' light bulbs are working quite right?
While the upgrade reset your cookie (i.e., you'll have to login again), it did NOT change passwords. If your password didn't work, chances are you just typed it wrong (or put it in the wrong box; the UI in this regard really sucks). The new post indicators are working, but they're not quite as obvious as they used to be, in my opinion.

So if there are no functional changes, the change is just aesthetics?

There are LOTS of functional changes, just not many that we're using right now because of the way I have things configured. That WILL change, but not anytime soon. Once I get the site redesign finished, I'll start taking a look at modifying the theme for the forum, but that's a ways down the road, too.

Speaking of functional changes, the "What's New" button in the upper-left is pretty handy: Go there and threads with new posts from ANY section of the site show up in one spot.

Speaking of functional changes, the "What's New" button in the upper-left is pretty handy: Go there and threads with new posts from ANY section of the site show up in one spot.

Seems like that is a duplicate of the "new post" option right below it, unless other items are also counted in the "what's new"

What? No Arfy-style mascot theme? No seasonal theme? No 'Choose a theme for your thread' theme?

Time to become a fan of ICSCC on Facebook theme?

Rats!

If that's the case, it looks like the redesign was done by a 12 year old girl. Soft mutted pastels and shades of grey.

Not a good recipe for ease of reading. The old design had better contrast.

Thumbs down in my book.

I am sure Steve will make it easier for us to read when he gets the time. He has a car to get busy on too you know:)

While my initial reaction was pretty much the same as Lance's, I'm finding that this theme is growing on me. That said, yes, I plan on making some changes to it down the road.

While my initial reaction was pretty much the same as Lance's, I'm finding that this theme is growing on me. That said, yes, I plan on making some changes to it down the road.

Steve it has grown on me a bit also.
Might I suggest a "theme" of Red/Black on White to match the ICSCC decals?
Even if not those colors it would be cool to match the ICSCC theme if we have one.
As long as your going to upgrade to the ICSCC logo:cool:

The "logo" should be a simple black border/lettering with a golden-ROD background. Just sayin'... that new bumpersticker/decal ain't a logo.

Maybe not, but the official ICSCC logo doesn't make sense to anyone who doesn't know its backstory. That would seem to make it a poor logo. (Where, for example, is "ICSCC" to be found? How is someone to infer from the logo that it represents ICSCC?)

[Edit: Obviously, I'm talking about the slightly-stylized car portion. The text is pretty unambiguous. :D]

Back