New toys that make your racing experience better?

Someone else mentioned logging brake pressures, so I thought I'd add another tidbit.. Brake pressure sensors are usually pretty expensive - $100+ if you buy the generic honeywell sensor from Digikey, usually closer to $200 if you buy it from the data logger vendors. Well, I found out today that most late model BMW's use a 140 Bar (2000psi) Bosch sensor on their DSC system. Bosch provides a datasheet for these so you can easily configure it on most systems, and eBay has plenty of the sensors for around $20-50 each, if you don't mind a used sensor. Score!

Hi Gang,

A quick update. We are having the AiM Sport Seminar on April 28th at our shop with Roger Caddell flying out from Texas. Details to follow in a few days, but mark your calendars now for this event! See you then!

Someone else mentioned logging brake pressures, so I thought I'd add another tidbit.. Brake pressure sensors are usually pretty expensive - $100+ if you buy the generic honeywell sensor from Digikey, usually closer to $200 if you buy it from the data logger vendors. Well, I found out today that most late model BMW's use a 140 Bar (2000psi) Bosch sensor on their DSC system. Bosch provides a datasheet for these so you can easily configure it on most systems, and eBay has plenty of the sensors for around $20-50 each, if you don't mind a used sensor. Score!

If you want to buy a version that's almost identical to what AIM sells, just look up MSI sensors and find the MSP300 series. About $90 direct from MSI. AIM Vendor price is $149, but it includes a 719 Binder output. For some AIM systems you'll need a 719-to-712 conversion cable or extension. I bought the AIM unit as I was running out of time and didn't want to spend all season playing with little bitty wires and soldering.
And you can buy the AIM Binder wires/connectors online from Binder -- again, if you want to futz and have the time.
You can also wire up a simple off/on switch and feed that to your DAQ if you're interested in "when" and not "when and how much". Still provides good data -- just not as granular.

The BMW piece looks interesting -- thanks for the info. But after you see a MIL spec MSI stainless brake sensor, you might just buy it so your racer friends will be impressed.
This part looks like it came off the Space Shuttle. Mine will be visible! Come by and see it -- I'll probably be waxing it!

:) You're right, if you do use an AIM system and are stuck with their Binder connectors, it might not be worth the hassle. With my data logger, I just need a piece of unterminated wire to connect to the screw terminals of the sensor module. I do like shiny things, but for $40 for two sensors, I can live with the BMW/Bosch logo on a piece of black plastic ;)

Hi Gang,

A quick update. We are having the AiM Sport Seminar on April 28th at our shop with Roger Caddell flying out from Texas. Details to follow in a few days, but mark your calendars now for this event! See you then!

Sounds great to me... I'm in and likely at least one more with me.

Hi Gang,

Would love to go, if I could ride up with anyone coming from Portland.

Two seasons ago I returned to ICSCC racing with my youngest son Tim after being away for two plus decades. Decades makes it sound longer than 25 years. Saturday he will be attending the AIM seminar at TC Motorsports. There will also be an all new drivers gear packet from head to toe but not for him. This season my other and oldest son Jason will be joining Tim and I by entering his first Novice race in Portland on his way to earning his Senior License. While not a toy, it will make my racing experience more enjoyable having both of them there. Perhaps next year will provide the ultimate experience by me reacquiring my license which will allow all three of us to be on the track at the same time and especially so when I get to waive at them each time they lap me. :biggrin:

Nice Guy Jim

Back