New guy..

heymagic

Rally Tech
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm an old rally PNW rally re-tread and switching to race. My 21 year old son, Brent, has been to a couple Alfa Club schools and the Conference school at Seatttle. He'll be racing a 1987 CRX either late season or next spring. We need to decide the best class to run the car in (any Honda gurus around here?).

Gene McCullough
Rally America/NASA RallySport Western Chief Scrutineer

Hi Gene, it's Mike from Special Stage/Rally Anarchy.

I'm certainly no guru, but I do race an '89 CRX Si in ITA and H4 (Honda Challenge 4).

Conference classes largely mirror SCCA classes with a few exceptions (e.g, H4, Pro3, etc.). What's the level of prep of your son's car? If it is prepped at the Improved Touring (IT) level, he should be able to race in ITX (Group 2) and ITB (Group 5).

Improved Touring is generally a good class to start with if you're beginning with a street-driven or track-ready car. The major ideas behind the rule-set are to keep racing cheap and the competition between cars somewhat close. It looks like a 1987 CRX (Si or HF) would end up in ITB if you wanted to go into Improved Touring. Although it doesn't look like there would a whole lot of competition currently.
Rule set at:
http://www.scca.org/documents/Club Forms/2010 Tech Forms/GCR-July.pdf

H4 is another class that is a possibility. There are a couple of more participants in this class, but I'm not familiar with those rules. You can learn more about it at:
http://www.hondachallenge.com/

a lot of the ITB guys switched over to G Production also in group 2 look at those rules too . and also F Improved Production in group 5 or there is a GIP

The engine is the stock 1.5 Si with a header. The car has been gutted completely previously, no heater, no dash, no wipers etc. The original builder ran AutoX and some hillclimbs. I bought another CRX and we got the wipers of that. Seveal of the classes require a stock dash so I have that to work on now also. I would imagine it should have at least working defrosters of some sort. We just ran the track day at Seattle and Brent was running around 1:55 or so on real street tires and too much traffic.

1:55s are not a bad time for PR i ran 1.55 on all seasons with my ITA car before it was an ITA car in my last novice race

Gene, around these parts you definitely want a working defroster. What wheel and tire sizes are you running?

His best lap was 1:52.5 or so on stock Si 14s and mis matched radials, from the donor car I bought. The race car came with 2 sets of 13's. One set of slicks on Compomotives (for sale) and another set of actual racing radials on Koenigs, have to go look at the size.

Getting used to 2 new rule sets as well as the raaly ones is tough for an old guy. I appreciate the help from everyone.

Anyone going down to Bible Creek Hillclimb?

Gene

Back