NASA in the PacNW in 2013

So they did some work and they will accept ICSCC license to get a NASA license (no provisional license required) but you do have to get a NASA license (and pay the fees) see the update http://www.nasanorthwest.com/?page_id=337

They will also allow one race with a ICSCC license after that you have to get a NASA license.

Looks like 944-spec might be a bit of a hard-sell for us Pro44 guys as it appears NASA requires a spec tire in that class that I don't believe any of us have at this point. Haven't looked into the rest of the ruleset for 944-spec; there might be improvements we allow that NASA doesn't.

Tony H.

Looks like 944-spec might be a bit of a hard-sell for us Pro44 guys as it appears NASA requires a spec tire in that class that I don't believe any of us have at this point. Haven't looked into the rest of the ruleset for 944-spec; there might be improvements we allow that NASA doesn't.

Tony H.

NASA also has a 5 year fuel cell bladder rule along with neck restraint (like SCCA)

Race dates have been firmed up now

May 4-5 Pacific Raceways

June 1-2 The Ridge

July 13-14 Portland International Raceway

August 10-11 Oregon Raceway Park

September 5-8 Miller Motorsports Park – NASA Championships

September 14-15 Pacific Raceways

October 12-13 Portland International Raceway

I fully intend to renew my ICSCC license, but I recently received my NASA comp license using 2012 conference data which I faxed. Very easy to obtain and allows me to do two things I can not do with a Conference license. First....travel to Infineion and Laguna and race should I choose and secondly, participate in a National runoff, which in 2013 will be held at Miller in Utah in September.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bill

I do believe that you can run Infineon and Laguna under the ICSCC license, although when I ran Laguna last year, it was under an SCCA license.

Someone should check :) Last year everyone we talked to thought it would be a hoot to make the trip to Laguna this summer. We are seriously thinking of going back, and would love to have a caravan with us.

NASA also has a 5 year fuel cell bladder rule........

WHOLEY WHALE FAT, Bubba!!!! An organization is enforcing this 20 year old rule????

Considering there are Formula cars out there running perfectly safely with 20 to 25 year old cells, this regulation is just short of being as stupid as the 2 year harness system rule.

Last edited:
Laguna Seca Trip?

I do believe that you can run Infineon and Laguna under the ICSCC license, although when I ran Laguna last year, it was under an SCCA license.

Someone should check :) Last year everyone we talked to thought it would be a hoot to make the trip to Laguna this summer. We are seriously thinking of going back, and would love to have a caravan with us.

I'm planning on attending the April 12-14 SCCA Double Regional. Anyone else?

Not sure what SCCA will require, but NASA required my son to get a provisional license and NASA membership prior to racing at Infineon in November 2011. It only takes about 3 weeks to get a NASA comp license and costs about $135 or so including membership. Then you're good to go for NASA or SCCA events.

Bill-

ICSCC and NASA license will get you into SCCA regionals, but with either you still have to have an SCCA membership.
NASA license won't get you into SCCA national races, and neither will ICSCC license.

SCCA regional or national license will get you into ICSCC races, but you won't score any ICSCC championship points if
you enter with SCCA license.

My personal preference is to have both ICSCC license, and SCCA national license, to pick and choose races that fit into
my schedule and provide the best racing competition. Usually this means I run more ICSCC than SCCA events by about 2-1 ratio.

Last edited:
RE Laguna trip
April is probably too early for us, but one never knows...

Re licenses
I did what Kevin did with licensing. If you have lots of conference experience, it's not too tough to get approved for a national license. If not, then you'll have to start out with a reg. and get bumped up... If you even want a national. Their structure is being revised so it may be a little different this year than before, but I found little reason to run races as a national license (vs. running as a regional) unless you want to go back to the runoffs. Most of my reason for wanting the national was for credibility and flexibility when instructing. Note you can keep a national license by running as a regional, you just have to have a couple more races per year. Also, the local championships are based on regional points.
I found the SCCA people very helpful and friendly, but finding information in such an unwieldly, large organization was worse than pulling teeth. It will make you appreciate Conference and how simple and straightforward, and easy to access, our organization is.

There are different reasons for running with the different organizations for those of us in the PNW. If you just want great racing, with larger grids and people who are there to have fun, ICSCC is the hands-down winner. If you want to expand your horizons and travel more nationally, you may want to add another license. The experience is not necessarily better, just different.

SCCA has accepted my ICSCC races as "regionals" to qualify for my National License for the past several years. I believe they are required to do this as part of a past settlement between the two bodies. They have never questioned mine even though I have not met the required number of SCCA races for a number of years.

NASA is coming.

Is this a surprise?

Since at least 2007, I have been saying that from a business perspective, “the Mongol hoards are waiting on the border, all it will take for the them to surge into the NW is a perceived weakness”.

As long as SCCA and Conference were both strong, there was no reason for NASA to believe they would be successful in “our market”. It has been said that the merger of Northwest and Oregon Region of SCCA, “it is like two old men leaning on each other for support, the odds are that before long they will both fall down”.
I recently attended the Western Auto Racing Promoters Association Annual Meeting, I can tell you the big problem faced by racing everywhere is the cultivating of our replacement generation. Sports car racing (and oval track racing as well) is suffering from a decline in numbers due to the aging of the gear-head baby boomers and a perceived lack of relevance in general.

Of those who are inclined to go racing, the ever growing initial expense places that goal beyond the financial abilities of many of today’s younger earners, and ever fewer have that goal to begin with. It is the success that Chumpcar and Lemons have demonstrated in the area of attracting a younger crowd, and bringing in those that have been peripheral to the sport, that was the catalyst that inspired me to start the local RAT Race Series three years ago.

While it is true that many people will never progress beyond the “crap-can” format and become Conference racers, I believe that it has been the best way to increase the driver pool from which we all draw. The theory has been born out repeatedly; at STAR Projects races, a full one third up to half of the entrants were driving in their first race ever. The best of these drivers and the most competitive of the personalities, I believe, will gravitate to Conference (or another sanctioning body) to race in a series that offers a more meaningful championship structure with the ability to showcase their individual talents.

To return closer to the subject at hand, I believe it is better to be proactive in meeting the NASA challenge, and that is why I would like to have a strong participation from the Northwest (that’s you guys) at our Thunderhill RAT Race in February. I see this as an opportunity to draw Southern Oregon and Northern California drivers to come run events in our neighborhood. I could use your help.

Most of the production based cars we run in Conference are eligible for RAT Racing and a Conference driver who has retired from actively perusing a championship makes a good lead driver and mentor for a young team.

By way of making full disclosure, I must point out that I am a partner in ORP (the closest track to this market), so yes it makes good business sense on several fronts, but as those of you who know me well will verify, it is far more about the sport. It would also pain my Scottish heart to leave a $1000 of prize money in California.

Bill Murray
05 CW

Colin started this thread back on November 2, 2012 upon the realization that NASA was moving into the Pacific Northwest. I just re-read every post and I must say some of the posts in hindsight are spot on while some seem silly here in early June. Just to clarify where I am at and where I have been, I joined IRDC in 2010 and continue to hold a Senior License. I have raced with both Conference and SCCA and now NASA. I personally choose to race as close to my home in Poulsbo, WA which is pretty much Pacific (still my favorite track) and The Ridge. I may make a trip to Portland or Mission, but limited funds, etc, etc. Since I will continue to run Conference events at Pacific and The Ridge when I can, I have an interest the experience those events provide. So, I do think it appropriate to provide some feedback to my fellow Conference members as to what my NASA experience has been.

Without going into talking much about numbers or classes, other than to say there were over 100 total entries each day at the just concluded event at The Ridge, I saw many familiar faces and a lot of ICSCC stickers. There were 2 race groups. My group A had about 18 cars with 5 Spec Miatas, 1 Honda Challenge car and the rest were Spec911, Pro44 (4 cars) and a few BMW's thrown in for good measure. One flying start. As I understand NASA, if the grid is huge, they utilize split starts rather than creating more run groups. And with 5 Miatas, Toto contingencies kicked in. My son and I received a total of $350 in Toyo Bucks. We have also received a total of $200 in Hawk rebates. The other race group had about the same number of cars. All the rest were HPDE and Time Trial entries. There was even a Drifting group. Only 2 cars, but both Pro Drifting caliber and a real kick to see especially going uphill through the ridge complex. So all in all, a total of 8 "run groups". 20 warmup, 20 qual and 30 race= 70 minutes per day for the W2W entrants. Observations:

1. I never saw a FCY other than the pace lap and there were a couple of on track incidents. Track stayed green with appropriate flags and a hot tow. Racers raced and appropriate safety flags were displayed. Conference would very likely have had a 3 or 4 lap FCY and SCCA would have thrown a black flag.

2. Schedule never got off by more than 5 minutes. With no public address system, race announcements were on FM radio. But, if the schedule says your racing at 11:55, you better be there. I heard the comment "professionally run" from 2 very prominent members of the Northwest racing community.

3. NASA caters to the HPDE enthusiast and provides exceptional instructing and after session debriefing. And they are actively recruiting more instructors. The W2W racer is merely the icing on their cake. And while that cake may only be a two layer cake, at this time, it is going to become bigger. I saw no evidence that NASA is not going to succeed in a very big way. They appear committed to their customer and several officials are looking at Seattle real estate.

4. They are high tech and utilizing social media in a big way. Results are posted immediately and available on-line.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my two NASA events. Lots of racing at my two favorite tracks and a very engaging group of NASA staff many of whom are relocating to the Northwest. I felt welcomed as I always have felt at a Conference event. Great people for sure. Not sure how to end this, but just to say I am hopeful those involved in the policy decisions of Conference will view NASA's presence as the opportunity to improve the race experience for all us addicts, regardless of how and with whom we wish to spend the funds and time available.

Cheers,

Bill

Back