My $0.02 on spokane

Safety 3/Radio Dave

Ok, before I go to far, let me say that I have been involed with ICSCC for MANY years as a turn worker, e-crew/safety and communications.

I am not a current club member of IRDC BUT I am a member of CASCADE, TC and a honary member of NWMS.

I have seen a lot of post's about what is going on in Spokane and I for one think that there is a lot of remarks that should not have been said especially from people that have not been to the track in the last few months.

Yes, there have been a lot of safety concerns by ISCC and even SOVREN, But the SOVREN event came off with out a problem and they have cars that go just as fast and in some case's faster then any car in conferance.

There are post's from the SOVREN event on this form with in car footage, go take a closer look at this footage and get a better idea of the new configuartion.

There is almost 200 feet between the 'new' section and the hot pits, all paved with barriors, yes, maybe the hot pit access from the track needed to be more defined.

Yes, maybe more protection needed to be in front of the maintance building.

I have worked with the NWMS crew helping make this track safer and my hat is off to Doug Smith, Dane, Scott Adair, Track manager Jim Black and Cindy and a lot of the local car club people that have been working from day lite to dark to put this together.

I say, lets go over and see in person what is going on and then make your thoughts known to the people that do have the 'control' (what little that may be) over what goes on.

I also think that Randy B and Rick B have made some very good remarks about this whole thing.

SO...Lets go to Spokane, do some racing, partying and have a good time.

See you all there

Dave

Dave,
I agree that people need to see the track before commenting on "track safety" however most of this pissing match is mostly in regards to how conference operates. I know for a fact that 2 years ago conference executives stated that they were not in the business of certifying tracks. And that it needed to be left to "professionals" to alleviate any liability concerns.

When the news of a Spokane re-work came underway on this forum last year I brought up that they would have to be recertified.

The issue is that Conference made ORP/TC pay >10k for track certification which didnt change the number or amount of tire barriers etc going up.
However now that same conference executives are reversing course and making "exceptions" for Spokane. So this is alot less about the safety of spokane and alot more about how conference operates.

Excellent post... nothing much to improve on, Dave.

If there is one thing Spokane does well, it's put on events: Hoopfest, Bloomsday, etc. Come support the effort in Spokane and I'm sure you won't leave disappointed... maybe tired though :D.

Okey, I agree that there maybe some "OPERATIONAL" concerns about this whole thing. BUT as has been stated elsewhere, there MAYBE some things that CANNOT be aired in public. If you wont to know what the bottom line stamped in stone problem is, contact the people directly AND privately for the answer and hopefully they will tell you. If you do not like what they are doing, you have choices, 1) Tell them so, 2) Try to help them make the right choice, 3) vote them out and YOU take there place.

This is just like the problem I have in the way votes are taken. As I have been told, in most of the clubs unless you are a driver, you have NO vote in what goes on in the club. The FEW control the MANY. I do NOT think that is right as the clubs are made up of members that joined to have a common goal, be racing, sking, snowboarding, what ever, and ALL members should have a vote in how the club is run.

Now, I do agree that if there is a rule change for the car class (in any form), THEN that should be voted on by the drivers.

I do not policatic either and try and stay out of that area.

Also, as has been stated elsewhere, there are people that YOU elected to do a job and you have to remember that they are voluntiors to start with. NO person in any of these positions are beening paid to do the job.

Yes, I think more information on what is going on should have been made.

AS was stated in another post, when SCCA lost the cert at SIR in the late 70's and then again in the mid 90's, IRDC still ran there, so what is the differance? Besides, Spokane is NOT A NEW TRACK. It is a small RECONFIGURED TRACK. I also do not see the problom, but then I do NOT know a lot of the requirements for a track statues.

Again I state, LETS GO, HAVE FUN DO A RACE ENJOY OURS AND HAVE FUN.

See u there

Last edited:
Exactly Dave

It is like blind men trying to describe an elephant

That aside there are three questions:

1. Is Spokane as safe or safer for the Workers ?

2. Is Spokane as safe or safer for the Drivers ?

3. Is Spokane as safe or safer for all the other people present at the race ?

If the answer to all three is yes (having already raced there my answer is yes) then it is a net gain for everyone.

And on top of all that the track is more fun.

Lets go racing

Greg Coffin
Mygale F2000

Back