More ORP video

brucebe

Philosopher
Here's a couple laps at the opening of the Group 4 race:

BMW e30 ST

No major drama during this portion of the race, but it is a quick, flowing track.

-Bruce

I like the helmet cam too.

Caught myself leaning my head in the corners with you.

turn left...

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon

Having used fixed cameras for years, I've decided to experiment with the helmet cam. So far, the feedback has been generally positive, since the viewer sees what the driver sees. From a coaching perspective, it is easy to determine if the driver is sighting through the turns, scanning mirrors, checking gauges,etc. Also, if there *is* drama, you get a wider field of view, since the driver is presumably tracking the drama (if not directly involved in it :) ).

The head-lean is an interesting phenomenon. I'm still trying to determine how it relates to driver position/comfort, overall roll angle of the car, driver style/goofiness, etc.

With the camera literally mounted to the driver, it could prove useful in long-format races with multiple drivers. First, it could mitigate the storage-space problem, allowing you to record at higher-resolutions. Second, it could provide a means to review video mid-race, allowing the team to fine-tune their driving, develop a workaround to a mechanical or driving issue, or document on-track incidents for mid-race penalty discussions.

With all of the motion, it also just seems to make it a little more interesting to watch.

-Bruce

Just watched it on an iPad. Was rotating it like the RealRacingHD game except I managed to stay on the track. :smile:

Pretty neat, good driving. I never crashed once.

Last edited:
Well Wes, some drivers are getting nausea at ORP - so that might explain it :)

Actually, I get the same feeling when focusing on a particular detail in the video - if I step-back and take the whole scene in, it feels OK. Kind of like watching the horizon on a boat, to avoid getting sea-sick.
-Bruce

Back