Mission Race

jimmc8

Congrats to SCCBC for putting on a great weekend. They kept amazingly well to a very tight schedule.

Good people, great times.

My camera didn't work, so please post your videos so that I can enjoy it again :wink:

Yes, thanks to SCCBC and all the others who made the trek to Canada to make our races happen. The weather was fabulous and there was some good racing going on. We really enjoyed spending the time with everyone.

Anyone have video of the end of Monday's gp5 race (esp. the 2nd restart), with a view of the battle between Kim and I? Unfortunately, my camera doesn't pick up the effect of running side by side from turn 1 to turn 4 (with cooled tires and unhappy brakes...). It was definitely intense, after doing about 4 laps under double-yellow, swapping positions on the restart, 2 hot and another 2 under double-yellow, then knowing the checker was coming out in 1-2 laps. Thanks to Kim for running tight and clean for a fabulous battle! I'm sure it's the most fun I've had all year!

Rick Delamare broke a hub and lost the left front wheel in turn 9. Luckily, it was early in the turn and he slid out into the dirt and not a wall. The second double-yellow was someone stopped in 3, I believe (I forget why... as that wasn't my primary problem at that point :)
It was getting a little perturbing following a pace car, but, it seems, that probably was better than pulling everyone in to let their brakes melt in the hot pit lane. I'm sure I would have been done in that case.

"that probably was better than pulling everyone in to let their brakes melt in the hot pit lane. I'm sure I would have been done in that case. "

Good point, Karen. Worth a thread sometime.

Not to continue to derail the thread but...
Definitely at Mission, pulling cars in hot off the track is very detrimental to the brakes. Stewards may have already noted that if they have to black flag a session, a lap under yellow would cool the cars so they would tolerate the black flag without setting fire to brakes or cooking a motor, caliper, etc... driver...

I wanted to say thank you to all the conference members who made the trip north of the border to participate this past weekend. Personally it made for one of the best race weekends I can remember. I ran my Honda #737 in Group Five (FIP), and was fortunate enough to finish well on both days. My only regret is not having sufficient budget to take in more ICSCC events south of the line.

Having heard all the warnings about the walls and often iffy weather, I nonetheless trekked north. Did the track day on Friday and entered Group 2 for the three day event. I can honestly say it was the best weekend of racing I have experienced in my short two years. The shorter, tighter track made for very close, but exhausting racing. I want to thank all those with SCCBC for an extremely well run event. I may race less in 2012, but I am sure the September Mission race will be on my schedule. I want to especially offer up my kudos to the race announcers. They were fantastic and you could actually hear them from pretty much anywhere in the paddock area. I must remember though, that you can't buy a 6-pack of beer at the local Safeway!

Bill-

Congrats to SCCBC for putting on a great weekend. They kept amazingly well to a very tight schedule.

>>Good people, great times.<<

..................... the best way to describe the weekend in Mission.

Great times hosted by great people and good friends.

Many thanks to the SCCBC for their wonderful hospitality.

"J.C." Cuevas

P.S. .............................. the announcing was; .............. EXCITING!!!

+1 Bill's right. The race announcements were great!

Dan

+2

Glad all of you made it up across the border. I've personally never seen so many entries and the atmosphere was great.
My only regret is I didn't enter as a driver for this event 'cause I missed out on some great racing.

I look forward to next time.:)

A great weekend indeed! The only thing missing for me was a hockey game at pre grid!

On another note...as has become typical with PRO3 cars, I seemed to have lost my chin spoiler at T3 on Monday in the G1 race. Well, truth be told, it was knocked loose in T7 and it gave up at about T3. If it managed to survive, I don't suppose some nice turn worker type managed to pick it up?

Thank you to the workers. When my car died during the G5 qual on Monday they picked me up quick and while I sat with them until the session ended they handed me a cold bottle of water and helped me look over the car. Top Notch people.

Thank you to my competitors for giving me one of my best ICSCC experiences ever:

The car was just dropped off at my paddock and pushed under my tent after dying during Qual. I ran off briefly for a pee and when I got back there were was Rick, Eric, Tucker, Kurt and others all with their heads and hands in the engine bay diagnosing the problem. I kind of just stood there in disbelief. Where else can you have a mechanical failure and find 4 of your competitors in your paddock trying to make your car run again? The problem was fixed so fast I made it out to G2 Qualifying.

I also need to thank everyone that helped me look for my leather binder (that had my passport in it) after the races on Monday. I was in a real panic! It turns out the hotel found it in the "maids closet", and NOT in the lost and found area. I find the whole thing very suspect but oh well.

I love racing.

The racing was intense! The weather was hot! And my brakes actually melted during weigh-in!

Thanks to the Lensen's for the food and the first rate hospitality. Overall our friends up north made us feel very welcome.

And if you get a chance to pit next to J.C., get ready for a entertaining, story filled weekend.
Too bad I can't share any of them in a GP rated forum.

And of course, thanks to Michael and J.C. for pushing me when the starter failed.

Bill:

Thank you for helping me trouble shoot my brake pad issue and for all the wonderful company last weekend. I was particularly impressed by your "mad scientist" methods of fixing stuff. I think I will now begin to call you Dr. Gizmo.

I have yet to go racing and not been overwhelmed by my fellow racers generosity and their willingness to help. Again, I appreciate your help without pointing out my obvious lack of mechanical aptitude.

>>And if you get a chance to pit next to J.C., get ready for a entertaining, story filled weekend.
Too bad I can't share any of them in a GP rated forum.<

....................... I suppose I should take that as a compliment. If it is; ............ gee, thanks. If is not; ................ I am not totally demented, I've been simply exposed to too many cultures and a lot of certifiably demented people. BTW, ALL of my stories are "G" rated, .............................. as in "Grownup".

Most of the guys and gals in this forum, would, in most cases react in a positive way to some of the things I say and do. Humor is a neutral and necessary staple of life. The forum police, however, might not allow me any latitude for my lack of "political sensitivities" and my warped and "unconventional" sense of humor.

I will see you in Seattle for the last race.

"J.C."

Last edited:
Mike, note to self for chin spoiler........have seen this on duct tape on a couple of wayward ones

"If found please return to Car #130 phone# 208-lost-it-again."

The forum police, however, might not allow me any latitude for my lack of "political sensitivities" and my warped and "unconventional" sense of humor.

You might be surprised. With the exception of a few words, the automatic settings on this site are definitely R-rated, for example.

...... I suppose I should take that as a compliment. If it is; ............ gee, thanks.
"J.C."

Oh yes, it was!

I was amazed at how many people you know and greet (and remember their names!) and the positive feedback
you generate. It sure made the weekend just that much more fun.

I'm glad your brakes worked well. I think all Conference guys and gals are there to help any competitor.
My rear brakes ended up looking a lot like your fronts. They almost welded themselves to the rotor.
The fronts got hot enough to bend the pad backing plate!
Mission sure is hard in undersized, undercooled brakes.

>>Mission sure is hard in undersized, undercooled brakes.<<

Indeed, but Mission is my favorite track. The people there make it my favorite.

I am not sure as to why my engine got so hot but I am replacing the thermostat and hope that the next Seattle race will be a bit cooler than Mission. Cruising at half power to cool the engine is not my idea of racing.

J.C.

Back