Mission Club Ford gearing

Oh Oh... interesting info Trout. Hmmm, already filled the box.

But there is good news. I truly suspect we're going to do a gear change at Portland (which I think Jeff wants to attend). That will give us an opportunity to rethink the gear oil thing. I do have a couple of bottles of the Valvoline synthetic in the liquids box.

Guess we need to talk with Ken about the box adjustments too. He has never brought it up but then, we've never asked either.

I've never heard any mention of a hydrophillic issue with the Redline. When we first got the car, the box did have Redline in it and so far, it looks good. Our main reason for Mobil 1 last year was cost savings. Guess we should have stuck with it.

Last edited:
We installed my box yesterday at Kenny's with Mobil 1 gear oil. There was a car sitting there with the blue stuff draining into a pan, and when I asked I got an earful about never ever using it. So if you stick with the Mobil 1, which DND has used for years with no issues, you'll be fine.

Well, that certainly tells me 3 things.

Change the gear oil BEFORE we take the car back to DND.
Make sure Ken or Tracy aren't watching when we do the change in Portland.
Keep fingers crossed that neither of them visit this thread

The good news is, using Hylomar sealant all of our gear oil comes out blue-ish turquoise. Thus hiding the evidence of our 'error'!

The 2nd good news is, it really is a cost savings. The Reynard takes 2 quarts of gear oil ( 1 on a gear change). Unlike you 'normal' Hewland guys.

:) :)

Last edited:
Lets see if I got this correct -

Gearing for Portland with chicane for CF: 18:33, 20:30, 23:28, and 25:27 If I buy six Hewland gears, I could by seven Webster gears for the same price. Well, who's going to buy all those gears, maybe me during the next five years and thanks to Richard B., the Websters are just as good and I'll be saving some money, and that's great! Gear oil? Well, I can use Mobile One synthetic because it's handy at the local Schucks. But, if I plan ahead, perhaps I'll use Red Line's ShockProof SuperLight because it's specifically made for racing Formula Vee and FF, CF and I think that is the better choice. It's only a couple bucks more. Any oil additives? I think not! And that includes Z-MAX. I'll bet someone out there is using it. Not to many years ago we were puting Teflon additives in our oil, but I never saw any difference on the dyno, and I looked hard. Wanna go fast? Make sure your car is set up to match 'your' style of driveing, not some generic CF set up which makes the car a little to twitchy for "us older guys." If you feel comfortable and confident, your lap times will go down. The best investment I've made was purchasing a leak-down gauge and head bolt socket from Pegasus. I use the gauge after every race at home in the quiet of the evening in the garage to ensure the leak down average across the four cylinders doesn't exceed 5%. Can't run with the front group without power. The rings Jay uses leak a little when stationary and that's acceptable; intake valves shouldn't be heard, but you may hear a little something if you listen through the carb. The big culprit is the exhaust valve. It takes such a beating and high heat. Invariably, after a race or two, it may require a little kiss with the valve seat with some Clover 400 grit. All this removing the head, preserving the head gasket (to be reused !!!) rewoking the valves is tedious. But, it costs nothing but your time and labor and it's fun. You usually have a few weeks between races anyway. Thanks for your help;

Albatross

Check with Ken Dye at DND Fabricating. He has several sets of used gears that are in good to excellent condition at much better than new price. A good way to fill out your gear chart early in your racing career. I try to buy one new set each season and then sell the one that it replaces. Eventually I have great gears and I get to pass on some savings to those just getting into the sport who may be on a limited racing budget.

Rod,
I don't know if we're gonna be there or not.
Neil hasn't said for sure and the car is still apart.
We both have a lot of personal-family-business things going on right now,
so no free time.
I told Neil I wanted to go but it's up to him.
Rick

Rick I am just doin a few this year if you guys are not there would love to play in seattle this summer.

Back