Medical Fund for Steve Schaeffer and Wes Hill

fredlye30racer

If you were at the drivers meeting yesterday you heard that Steve and Wes had a bike crash that sent Steve to the hospital immediately with a hip injury that was operated on successfully Saturday night. He is home now resting for a tough recovery with 3 new pins in his hip. Wes had a broken shoulder along with a nasty cut on his arm.

The medical bills for Steve alone are going to be over $10K. Both Steve and Wes are without medical insurance so the crash has an even tougher impact. Please help if you can any donation will be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday I was blown away by the human side of Conference as people have donated so far more that $2500. Many more people told me they want to help so please send any donation to me at the address below.

Fred Wright
312 211th Place SE
Sammamish, WA 98074

If you have any questions feel free to call me at 206-579-7907 or email me at fredlye30racer@gmail.com

Thanks to all that have contributed or will. I am proud to race with each of you.

Last edited:
ICSCC insurance

Apropos of this, Steve and Wes should check to see what assistance they may be entitled to through ICSCC's insurance coverage. I know very little about this, but have heard it mentioned in the past - mostly as a resource that people tend to overlook.

Do we make the check out to you?
I don't know why Fred isn't answering, but yes make them out to Fred. (I did)
As far as insurance coverage there may be some for the hospital I've heard, but Steve is between jobs and now not able to do temp work either so the contributions will help make mortgage, food, and utility payments.
Let this be lesson to us all, be gainfully employed before crashing. Neat trick if you can pull it off.

Med insurance while traveling

And a further reminder to Canadian drivers traveling to races: your basic provincial medical insurance probably won't get you far outside Canada - sometimes even outside your home province. There are many plans available that will cover you while you travel, and they are very affordable (e.g. in the $100 range for an annual policy covering unlimited trips, each up to 7 days duration). They will cover you even while you're racing, as long as it is at the amateur level. You can get these through your credit union, BCAA, etc.

Sorry busy week....yes please make the check out to Fred Wright. We have raised $4.5K+ so far.

Thanks to all that have sent help. What a wonderful group of people we have!

Back