March 17th test and tune Pacific Raceways...Also I'm new this year...

rsdoherty88

RACEFREAK
Anyone going to this? This will be my first time there with the neon. Been on the track with a GSXR, so not new, but I've never driven it in a car, so I imagine the lines are quite a bit different.

My first time there, I was thinking about starting off with the street tires during the first session to feel out the car. I've haven't really driven it yet, then after the first session move to the race tires. Is that a good idea? Plus, I won't wear out the ra1's as much. Some pointers would be great as I won't be able to take the neon to the driver training on April 14th because it doesn't have a passenger seat.

I'm hoping to get to my first race event in May.

Welcome!

It sounds like you're either ahead of the curve or you got some good advice from someone. I like the idea of going out on the inexpensive and less grippy street tires to begin with. You will be able to slide them around at lower speeds more safely and help you learn the balance of the car.

If it is wet you might want to stay on those street tires unless your RA-1's are full tread. Also, be very careful heading down the hill into 3A if wet and also be careful in 5A....and never never ever lift at T1. Pacific is a great track wet or dry, but there is not a lot of room if you get in trouble, so obviously stay on the cautious side until you become very confident of your line and how the car if performing. But, have a ton of fun! And welcome to Conference.

Bill-

Seattle can be very slick and cold early in the morning, even without rain.

5A likes to eat cars--there's a dip just after the crest. Be off the brakes and on the gas, by the crest and before you put in any steering input, otherwise the back end may see fit to pass you and you may end up meeting the berm.

The pavement in turn 8 has half the grip of turn 2.

If you get into trouble in turn 9 (onto the straight), don't overcorrect (you'll end up in the wall). Keep your eyes and the wheel pointed down track.
Exit for 9 is very rough.

Since it sounds like you'll be learning this on your own, you should see if there is an experienced driver who will do a lead-follow with you.
Also, remember slow and smooth and consistent while learning the line will get you fast faster than the alternative.

To play "devil's advocate" about tires-- if you run with the same set all day, you will have one less variable to contend with while learning a new skill. The first session out shouldn't put much wear on the tires.

Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to Conference racing! The Novice program is excellent for training up new Conference drivers. I know we are all competitive and want to be "fast" right away, but I was taught to learn to do things right first and speed will follow. When I watch the people who are "fast" it is usually they are technically flawless and consistent. Learn the technique, your car and the tracks, and "fast" will come. I am still waiting :)

Welcome to Conference racing! The Novice program is excellent for training up new Conference drivers. I know we are all competitive and want to be "fast" right away, but I was taught to learn to do things right first and speed will follow. When I watch the people who are "fast" it is usually they are technically flawless and consistent. Learn the technique, your car and the tracks, and "fast" will come. I am still waiting :)

Well said Mark...but what's with the "I am still waiting".....THIS FROM THE 2010 ICSCC SPEC MIATA CHAMP!! We all should be so sloooooooow...:tongue:

Bill

Well, I had a very educational experience at the track. My first full on track day(except for it was cut short due to clutch problems). I've done of couple of stints on a motorcycle, but first time in a car. Anyway, I learned a lot about the car, and I also learned that pacific raceways is scary slick when it's been snowing...lol. It did dry up later, and I got to try out the race tires, which was a great feeling. At first I was beginning to hate the car when the track was still wet. Can't believe the difference between the balding dry rotting street tires and the ra1's! lol. Anyways, time to fix a few things on this car. I guess that's why it's called a test and tune...

Glad you had fun Ryan....

My son and I will be out there this Saturday which actually is looking pretty decent, weather wise. Stop by and say hi...

Bill-

It looks like it's going to be 56 and sunny this weekend down there so Ryan, if you need more TNT time on your RA1's this coming weekend at PR looks great.

56 degrees and Sunny... Damn near ideal weather for a day at the track, wish I could make it.

...... and I also learned that pacific raceways is scary slick when it's been snowing...lol. It did dry up later...

LOL you should'a been there a couple of years ago during the March 6 hour Enduro!!! After about 1.5 hours of running there was 4 INCHES of snow on the track. And yes Ricky-Bobby, the race was called.

It looks like it's going to be 56 and sunny this weekend down there so Ryan, if you need more TNT time on your RA1's this coming weekend at PR looks great.

56 degrees and Sunny... Damn near ideal weather for a day at the track, wish I could make it.

I wish I could, but I have to save a up money for a new clutch(pressure plate had bent fingers, so wasn't disengaging the clutch fully) and also for the driver racing school, to get my novice license. I will probably be working at the first icscc race in portland, and racing at the next one at pacific.

Have fun!

Back