Looking for G4 in-car video

clintonracing

something witty
I think I'm looking for Curt Wilkstrom. Sorry I didn't get your name yesterday. White C4 Corvette that was following me when I bounced off the wall in T9. I'd really like to see the video to try and figure out what happened.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

So sorry to have seen what happened yesterday. Glad you seemed to come out OK, hopefully the car can be repaired.
Good luck

I was watching my in-car last night and realized that I could actually see you in my rearview as you rebounded toward the drag strip. Ouch. :(

I was so bummed when I saw the pics of your car Steve. Just glad that you came out of it safe and the car is fixable.

Thanks all for the encouraging words. I really appreciate all the offers to help out. It reinforces why I race with Conference. I love you guys!

Steve -- Post it up man! I'd like to see it.

Hi Steve - so glad to hear you're okay and the car is fixable! I was blue-flagger and communicator on Turn 9, so you hit the wall right in front of me then behind me ... yikes! I'd like to see what happened too, because nothing looked out of the ordinary as you came into the corner. From the marks on the wall driver's right just ahead of the apex cone hung in the fence, it starts with a red mark then slides along with blue paint. My yellow flagger noticed you had red decals on the front side of your car, so looks like that touched first, then your right front corner rode along the wall for about 10 feet before you shot across track to the drag strip wall, where you took the hit pretty much head on. I'm amazed you didn't move that block! REALLY glad to hear you were wearing a HANS device, that was a hard hit you took. Broke my heart to see the front of your lovely car all bashed up, happy to read Nick's comment that it can be repaired, but even more happy to hear you're just a little sore. Tight seatbelts, huh? :)

The red I believe was my front tow hook. It is big and red and snapped off. I found it sitting inside the cabin. I suspect that is what hit first followed by the rest of the car front end :)

Prior to car getting back to the paddock I thought something in the rear must have broke (sway bar, flat tire, something...) but to my suprise everything in the rear looks fine. Pushing the car off the trailer and into the garage it seems like maybe the front axle or wheel bearing is buggered up. I don't know if that is a result of the impact or maybe a smoking gun. We'll find out when we start tearing it apart.

Uh yeah tight seat belts :) All I have to say is that submarine belt works exactly as it is designed -- to prevent you from sliding under the dash... unfortunately there is some collateral damage from stopping that motion!

....I'd really like to see the video to try and figure out what happened. Thanks Steve

With single car 'deals' that happen right under the gaze of the tower people, no written report is required most of the time.

On the other hand, you might try to find what crew was working Turn 9 and contact them to see if either saw the "entire" thing unfold.

CV joint failed and seized according to my trusted mechanic (Pat Boyle). I dropped the car off with him last night and he took a preliminary look today. Just bad timing when it failed (probably not as bad as if it would failed through T1 or T7 though).

Steve,

I feel your pain. I wrecked trying to follow an AWD through turn 5 in the rain during qualifying and am still trying to sort out whats bent. (Yes it was you, and dang your fast through there)

At any rate, Curt is my uncle and being that I was out he was running my cam. He got a great shot of your wreck and I am in the middle of uploading everything to vimeo. It will take a while as I am uploading the entire race in HD but I will post a link asap.

If you want the file in its uncompressed form I would be happy to burn you a dvd.

Back