Looking for feedback: New format for schedule/results

I think it's a great idea.
Perhaps putting the forms in a fly out menu would clean things up.

The ability to sort by club and location might also be cool.

Rather than a legend at the bottom explaining location abbreviations, you could link them. Think glossary jQuery pop up (thickbox) type thing.

RSS, yes...great idea...I use it, great way to get quick updates!

Hmm... I've been trying to do this so that older browsers will still work, as well as browsers like Opera, while still maintaining the ability to print it (despite the print-enabled version). Maybe I need to rethink some of that a little.

Wherever possible, I'm sticking with server-side scripting and other things that produce relatively generic XHTML in the hopes of avoiding browser-specific hacks. Still, I'm getting positive feedback on the basic idea of "one-stop shopping," which is what I was looking for. I'll probably make a few more "what do you think" posts along the way to the redesign.

I'm not sure what kind of user data you're able to collect, but installing Google Analytics would give you a decent view of your user base and which browsers you should really be worrying about.

I'm not sure what kind of user data you're able to collect, but installing Google Analytics would give you a decent view of your user base and which browsers you should really be worrying about.

Duh... I already have that info, don't I? Silly rabbit. :D

You might get some insights from the MyLaps people. Are you ready to download directly from the AMB file management system? Orbits(sp)?

Um, wha'? I don't understand. You're not suggesting I get the race results for the Web site directly from the T&S software, are you?

No, no, of course not.

It's certainly much safer to manipulate the data a couple of times, just to get that feeling of accomplishment after you've finished plugging it in manually...for the third time.

Ain't that right ekiM?

Something about identity theft? TMI on the internet? Something like that. I forget the particulars of the debate concerning the "MyLaps" subject.

Oh, THAT discussion. Right.

Duh... I already have that info, don't I? Silly rabbit. :D

I don't have stats on screen resolution, but I do for OS and browser.

OS: Overwhelmingly Windows XP. If you add in Vista, it's over 90%. Not that it matters.

Browser. 55% IE 7 or (gak) 6, but the sheer RANGE of what people out there are using!! Old, OLD versions of Opera. Pre-1.0 versions of Firefox. SeaMonkey?! Twenty-three people in the month of April, for example, used IE 2.0?!! :eek:

I love the new format. Anything that improves the way information is displayed and accessed by not only the drivers but perhaps friends, family, spectators is a win in my book.

Changes to "Schedule & Results" page

I've made some changes to the "Schedule & Results" page that reflect these and a few other changes.

I've tried to keep the look & feel of the original page (since I'm not ready to release the site redesign yet) while adding new features and information.

Please note that I intend to REMOVE the race announcements and supp's from the Forms page. Does anyone here object to that?

Rather then Annce/Sched...

Why not just SCHEDULE... As when you click on schedule, the announcement is the 1st part of the schedule any way. That will do away with the oddity of "annce" which reminds me of ANSI more then what it's intended to mean.

Please note that I intend to REMOVE the race announcements and supp's from the Forms page. Does anyone here object to that?

Huh?
I don't see any announcement or sups on the "FORMS" page now for the Chicane Challenge. So it looks like you've done it already.

People who are NOT keeping up with this here might be wondering where it is. Perhaps a "comment" on the forms page that this info is now on the Schedule page?

Further complication to the page: Should go something like...

Schedule
Supps
Entry Form
On line Entry

With appropriate links.

Last edited:
I commented them out on the Forms page, so that I could easily put them back if someone had a really good reason why they needed to be there.

Good idea about the note on that page where to find them now, though, so I've done that.

The entry form is Conference-wide and, well, a form, so it stays on the Forms page. I've thought about online entry links, but it's still only two clubs that do it. Definitely something for the site redesign, though.

BTW, I just did some testing and those of you running IE6/IE7, while you see a decent page, are missing what IE8/Firefox users are seeing. I'm pretty surprised, too, as I'm not doing anything fancy on the new schedule page. (IOW, you're not missing much.)

This could be a problem later on with the redesign, but I'm doing my most to ensure downlevel compatibility.

(Also, for you IE-haters out there, IE8 is pretty awesome. Faster and more robust in many respects than Firefox, too, and more fully featured than Chrome.)

BTW, I just did some testing and those of you running IE6/IE7, while you see a decent page, are missing what IE8/Firefox users are seeing. I'm pretty surprised, too, as I'm not doing anything fancy on the new schedule page. (IOW, you're not missing much.)

This could be a problem later on with the redesign, but I'm doing my most to ensure downlevel compatibility.

(Also, for you IE-haters out there, IE8 is pretty awesome. Faster and more robust in many respects than Firefox, too, and more fully featured than Chrome.)

Trusting you on this Steve, I'm upgrading to IE8. I've been resisting up until now based on previous experiences with Micrsoft.

Trusting you on this Steve, I'm upgrading to IE8. I've been resisting up until now based on previous experiences with Micrsoft.

Well, full disclosure: I'm ex-MSFT and used to drink a fair bit of the Kool-Aid. Then again, I've always had at least one non-Microsoft OS in the house, too. Currently, my non-Microsoft OS is Ubuntu, with Firefox as a browser on my Vista machine. I use IE8 as my main browser at home and at work.

Uh, I'm not looking to start any browser war here, either; I've just been really pleased with IE8 in the few months I've been using it.

Back