Light Hearted Post from another Forum - For Enzo fans

holly_remington

The Pros From Dover
Go Enzo Go!

This post came through today...

Subject: [sfr-issues] The Art of Racing in the Rain book trivia

I saw Garth Stein at a book signing the Thursday before the Monterey Historics. He said that Dr. McDreamy, aka Patrick Dempsey, has bought the movie rights for the book and they will begin filming the movie next summer. The voice of "Enzo" has not been cast yet. Patrick told Garth he got a call from NASCAR asking if he could film it with a NASCAR background. Garth wanted to know "what did you tell them" since NASCAR does not race in the rain. Would they call the movie "The Art of Sitting Around and Not Racing In The Rain". Patrick told them no and they had obviously not read the book.

BB

Holly,

Trust me on this, we can make it work for NASCAR!

Enzo becomes "Smokey" (as in Smokey Yunick) and will now be a Lab/Pitbull/??? mix from the pound.

Denny (the driver) becomes Bo (played by Billy Bob Thornton). Bo will be the guy who works at Pep Boys during the day but manages to win the 2010 Chump Car National Championship and gets discovered by some bigwig in NASCAR. A real Cinderalla story, well kind of....

Seattle becomes Alabama and the main track is Talladega (I've been there, it is cool)

We simply change the title to "The Art of Fighting in the Paddock".

Garth would need to approve it first but I think this could work!

Typically, really good books can result in a really good movie... This however, I don't have high hopes for. As a Racer I found enjoyment in the book. As a book reader, I thought it was average, at best. Maybe a 5/10. I have found, though, that my opinion is a minority in this regard.

The idea of the dog coming back was too....predictable and the thought of Denny becoming a Winning F1 driver at the end at his age and skill level is laughable at best. Only a few small changes could have made a world of difference.

As for making a movie, I think the only way this would work is if was worked into NASCAR or INDY but not with the Formula 1 ending.

Michael - You're on to something. It would certainly appeal to the masses more than a Club Racing book. "Art of Fighting in the Paddock" could be applied to IRL too, Danica would have to be in it for sure she's got experience.

I hope Patrick is Denny. Although, he's not who I pictured as Denny, I think he'd be very likeable as Denny. He's a racer, so it'd be cool if he starred in it. I just loved him in "Can't buy me Love" in 1986 or 1987. I was a freshman in highschool hormones all a rage, so he left an impression on me.

I hope they make Enzo a Yellow Lab. I don't think Garth's dog in real-life was a Yellow-Lab, I can't remember, and I loaned my copy of the book out so I can't re-read the part where he talks about his real dog. I just always pictured him as a yellow lab, probably because that's the dog on my cover and I'm convinced that Labs do in fact think like Enzo. Although, they probably won't...since Yellow Labs have SOOOO been done lately, thanks Marley and Me. (A good dog movie, but, if it's done right The Art of the Racing in the Rain will be the best dog movie!)

Colin - I thought it was a great dog book, but, probably enjoyed it so much because of all the PNW references. It was a fairy tail, Ha...<sigh>

Last edited:
You were in high school in the late 80's Holly? That was around the time of my 20 year reunion! Damn... So obviously you decided to have a relationship with a much older man!
Most racing movies suck as we all know, other than 'Winning', 'Grand Prix' and 'LeMans.' But maybe, just maybe if Dempsey is involved it could fly.

Now that I've got my creative juices flowing, or maybe it's the cheap crap Rainier beer I've been drinking, here's more:

Holly as the NASCAR team owner (she's young so it'll have to be a trust fund type of thing)

And Wes Tipton as the grouchy but worldly driving coach.

Colin can play the cocky young hotshoe out to put Billy Bob into the wall.

:)

For the record, I'm only kidding around. I hope they don't deviate from the book. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Me 2.

I hope they are true to the sex scene. It was one of the best sex scenes I've ever read...

I hope it's ok to say sex on the forum. Oops I said it again. Anyway, those of us who have read it know what I mean....and for everyone else, maybe you'll go buy the book and help Garth's sales.

...The idea of the dog coming back was too....predictable and the thought of Denny becoming a Winning F1 driver at the end at his age and skill level is laughable at best. Only a few small changes could have made a world of difference.

That's why it's called fiction Colin...

As they say, to each his own...

As for making a movie, I think the only way this would work is if was worked into NASCAR or INDY but not with the Formula 1 ending.

Vehement disagreement on this point from this writer.

As a Racer I found enjoyment in the book.
I am glad to hear this.

Well it wasn't "Science Fiction". It was, after all, based in the real world with real places, heck even real people ie; Don Kitch.

I would have liked Garth Stein to have written an ending that flowed with the other 90% of the book. It would have maintained it's continuity of the believable. I could believe that a middle aged man with some racing background could be successful in NASCAR, ALMS or Indy. But to think someone with only semi-professional experience could get a permanent ride in F1, or worse yet, be a dominant winner in the series is laughable. There's something to be said for the continuity of a storyline.

To enjoy a pun, I'd say Garth Stein screwed the pooch in regards to the ending.

I'll shut up about my critiques now.

As for the original poster I do want to say that it is impressive work on behalf the marketing monster known as NASCAR that they pro-actively reach out to be a part of something like this (even though they didn't read the book). Whereas, when Formula 1 is approached they often shut their doors and don't want to be a part of anything Hollywood. Sly Stallone found that out when he approached Eccelstone and F1 about doing the movie DRIVEN. The producers and directors originally wanted it to be based in F1 but they were shot down from day one.

If the movie gets made it would be great to use a series like ALMS or Rolex to get more viewership to those sports. Since Dempsey Racing is involved with Team Seattle in the Ferrari 430 at Le Mans it would make sense that the story and ending would involve these series to bring more attention and fan-base to them. Why not grow the fan base of the sport/series you love and participate in?

Kevin, your last post "intrigued" me, so I went snooping ...

January 23, 2008
KEVIN YORK BRINGS UNIQUE MARKETING PARTNER...
...TO DAYTONA FOR KONI CHALLENGE SERIES FIRST RACE

23 January 2008 | Charlotte, NC

“That which you manifest is before you.” - Enzo the dog

When Kevin York kicks off Grand Am’s 2008 KONI Challenge Series at the Daytona International Speedway this weekend, he’ll have a new marketing partner at his side.

This partner is a first for York’s team, Compass360 Racing, as well as a first for motorsport in general.

However, fans will have to wait until May to get the whole story on this innovative and exciting sponsor.

In the meantime, GoEnzo.com can be found emblazoned on the #75 Compass360 Racing Acura TSX.

Intrigued? Then visit the website,GoEnzo.com. Come May 2008, the rest will be clear.

And remember, like Kevin and the minds behind GoEnzo.com would say, “Your car goes where your eyes go.”

Very impressive resume you have there! You've had an amazing career to date!

And I gather you had some inside connections to the book, so I wanted to say ...

I LOVED it, couldn't put it down, and was sorry I had to give it back to the person I'd borrowed it from ... therefore I was DELIGHTED when my sister back east FedEx'd me a copy of a book she was sure I'd enjoy (knowing my love of racing) ... and I now have my very own copy of "Racing in the Rain"!

It would be SO COOL if you could talk Garth into coming to Seattle the Sept. 26/27 weekend ... I bet you there would be dozens of us lined up with our book hoping for his signature.

Anyway, I think it should be required reading for any northwest racer ... or race fan. Heck, even my CATS liked it!

HA! I didn't dig far enough ...

Kevin IS Denny Swift ... COOL! I'll just look for you in Seattle and get YOUR autograph!

THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN is narrated by Enzo Swift, a loyal family dog who has educated himself about the world by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver, and those of his favorite racer, Aryton Senna. He’s learned that by using techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals -- your car goes where your eyes go.

Stein is a former racecar driver himself, which led to his decision to get the word out about this book by sponsoring a racecar -- an unusual move for a writer. But Compass360's Acura #75 is not just any racecar. The driver, Kevin York, is Stein's good friend and the real-life inspiration for the character of Denny Swift.

I agree with Colin that the F1 WDC bit was far fetched but hey so is a narrating dog.

But, maybe reality really is stranger than fiction. Didn't Ferrari just call up a 38 year old test driver with no recent F1 experience to replace Schumi? Just like in the book! I wonder what Luca Badoer's dog would say?

....AND Bonnie, Kevin gave me my very own "chewed" up goenzo.com hat at last years Enduro Registration. So, not only a very pedigreed driver, but, a nice one too. Too bad he lives so far away :(

Drivers who give me hats always become my favorite driver, and as my favorite driver they are entitled to certain perks. Like blown kisses on cooloff laps. Special good juju vibes during races. Stewards who penalize drivers so said favorite drivers might move up in the results...ok that last one I only prayed about and it came true!

Oh, Holly, that's so cool, lucky you!

Know what the best hat I ever got was? From RICK MEARS, off his OWN HEAD, still had his SWEAT on it!! In PORTLAND no less!!! I sleep with that one ... (yes, it's the best I can do ...)

Okay, I must not be reading things well at all tonight, I thought from Kevin's website he was in the Pacific Northwest now ... I guess it was just a one-off drive?

Anyhoo ... GARTH lives in Seattle, doesn't he? If he signed books at Laguna Seca, couldn't we convince him to swing by Pacific Raceway???

Okay, I'm going to bed now ... with my hat ...

;)

Back