It's not a title, or entitlement. It's a matter of being.

Club level motorsports racing may well be considered amateur sport, but we are NOT obligated by any written doctrine, or philosophy to operate as amateurs.

The FUN is in the success of an operation. The SUCCESS of the operation depends on the communication, the coordination, the cooperation of a TEAM of individuals that have worked, and trained together toward that common goal.

No one person may assume CONTROL through the processes of political advancement, but those individuals that have trained, practiced, and worked through the procedures will be the foundation of safe and efficiently run racing events.

It is our goal to perfect the processes, and procedures with every experience. Remaining flexible to changing environments. Maintaining our ability to adapt through that knowledge and expertise acquired from constant exposure to that environment. And the import of those standards must be upheld from season to season, and generation to generation as any other real family traditions.

Those "amateur" racers, who's safety and well being are OUR charge know that we are there for them. They depend on it. And they very much appreciate it.

That's what being a Pro is about. That's what sets us apart. That's what makes me proud to be a Pro From Dover.

FORMUL~2.jpg

No disagreement here. We all take turns rubbing each other a bit here on the forum for informational purposes or somethimes just for entertainment, but I strive to be "professional" at the track and have witnessed the "professionalism" of the volunteers regularly firsthand. I have the great pleasure of having been able to interact with them even more closely through my responsibilities with the IRDC than I did as a driver and it has only added to my appreciation of their efforts on behalf of the sport, the club, and the safety of the participants.

Professionalism is just a state of mind. I've always thought that it is funny in that it implies compensation, but actually means a quality of effort cannot be measured in those terms. Kind of like "priceless" doesn't mean valueless, it means "beyond measure".

IRDC is working on some cool things to try to say "Thank You", but for now, just the regular old fashioned kind. Thank You Volunteers.

Now back to the regularly scheduled bout of verbal jousting. Tally ho!

The many volunteers that enable us to do this silly thing called Club Racing are, in my humble opinion, so much more
special and important than the drivers. Thanks is not enough. I appreciate it has small meaning.
If I ever come up with the proper words I will display them and say them everywhere and often, to anyone.

Until then. Thank You. I appreciate all you do for us.

Kind of hits you when you're the last race group, you go looking for race results, the paddock is mostly empty already, and Tom's running in signing off the races and Lynn's photocopying pages and more pages ... and they still have to clean up and pack up...

I would venture to guess that to be the dedicated group of workers that exist in the ICSCC that the workers would have to love the racers and officials of the ICSCC almost as much as they love racing.

I will say thank and also show thanks by trying to being a person whom they like working with; at corners, registration, officiating and yes, even the flat tow :(

When Rick was running around getting people to help him mend his steering wheel he said best: "This is why I love conference, because exactly at the time you need something, people are there to help."

Thank you again.

Kind of hits you when you're the last race group, you go looking for race results, the paddock is mostly empty already, and Tom's running in signing off the races and Lynn's photocopying pages and more pages ... and they still have to clean up and pack up...
Not to mention the fact that the stewards park their race cars so they can spend a season running around the countryside wiping noses and administering spankings.
A hearty thanks to all the volunteers for coming out and for being there when we need you the most.

Colin, Rick may have been on the receiving end of some help this weekend, but one of my favourite racing memories was my CRX being towed into the paddock at Mission at the end of a Grp 5 race to Rick and several of my Canadian competitors waiting at my pits with tools and parts to help repair the car in time for my Grp 2 race. That helping hand allowed me to stay in contention for the CACC club championship - there's no way I would have had the car ready by myself. To me, that was the racing community showing it's true colours.

Oh crap, I was supposed to park my race car??? No one told me that!

Jon Bonforte
2011 ICSCC Tech Steward
#99 G2

Back