Is there a small bore "swapped motor" class in Conference?

mikecolangelo

Is there a class within Conference that will allow small bore cars with engine swaps? These would be the kinds of cars that currently run in NASA's Honda Challenge 2 or the SCCA's Super Touring Lite (STL) classes. I'm mainly thinking about an older Civic with a Honda JDM B16 engine but others might consider an early (and lighter) Miata with the 1.8L motor as well.

BTW, these cars probably wouldn't be competitive in ST since the weight to power ratio would be substantially higher than 10:1.

Last edited:
well off the top of my head i can think of a couple classes that allow motor swaps SP"U" for small motors and ST as long as you are over 2200 i think. IT doesn't Prod nope, ImprovProd aslo no. GTL but lost of fine print to read for which motor you use.

Thanks Eric. I'll have to check out SPU. I'm pretty sure the car wouldn't be competitive in ST. Race weight (without ballast) should be around 2150 lbs. Roughly 160 hp at the wheels.

Then again, it might be fun to race with you guys.

FWD will let me beat the BMWs (no offense!) in the rain and the STIs break down after 3 laps. So maybe, I'd have a chance?

There was talk to lower the weight a hundred pounds in the ST class is this going to happen ??

No, there was talk to lower our minimum weight from 2400 to 2200. It was proposed as a rule change and then passed at the Fall Meeting. 2200 lbs is the new minimum.

Huh? I used to race a B18C1 in an Integra GS-R. Nothing hospital-worthy about it.

You're right. I was thinking of the Hype R motor, the B18C5.

But looking at the numbers, the B18C1 is only a small improvement over the B16A motors.

Last edited:
You're right. I was thinking of the Hype R motor, the B18C5.

But looking at the numbers, the B18C1 is only a small improvement over the B16A motors.

That's why I wrote "B18C1/C5" in my original post, to cover both of them. But, really, the Type R motor isn't that big a deal over the C1, especially if you "massage" the C1 a little. Regardless, we have heavy cars with lots of HP in the class and need someone with a light car and not so much HP to come out and test the other end of the 10:1 spectrum. :D

Mike, you can't just keep changing cars hoping to run up front; eventually you're going to have drive faster! :tongue:

Mike, you can't just keep changing cars hoping to run up front; eventually you're going to have drive faster! :tongue:

You are correct, sir! I plan on working on the driving a lot more this season.

Still, I have been toying with the idea of building an STL/H2 Civic or CRX. Kind of a silly season thing. Besides, with the 15 race schedule, I might need two cars!

Still, I have been toying with the idea of building an STL/H2 Civic or CRX. Kind of a silly season thing. Besides, with the 15 race schedule, I might need two cars!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. You're going to field multiples cars over a 15 race season? Busy, Mike will be busy.

Thanks Eric. I'll have to check out SPU. I'm pretty sure the car wouldn't be competitive in ST. Race weight (without ballast) should be around 2150 lbs. Roughly 160 hp at the wheels.

Mike,

My mild build B16 makes 191 at the wheels. About hundred more than in ITA trim. Jon B. is putting together a very cool big brake kit to fit under 15" wheels for our cars. I also have a 1.8l turbo setup that would fit real nicely into your car.

BTW, I am planning on moving to SPU, ST, ITE this year. As time permits.

R

You're actually going to race this year?

I agree with the others you'll need a B18 of some kind and ST should start to make sense for this type of setup. Even better you can start perfecting CRV-VTEC in a street car.

As a point of reference my B16a enduro car made 150whp on a Mustang dyno and was essentially stock.

Back