IRDC Last Lap to Fall - Group 5 Race Start

Jack,

I'm sorry.

I didn't sleep a wink on Sunday night. I had it replaying in my head over and over and over. I know I'm better than that and I'm deeply embarrassed by it.

I lost the rear, fast, like something was on the track that reduced adhesion. In order for me to save it I had to put in a lot of counter steer and lay on the throttle. What happened was that I did, in fact, save it but in doing so I had to then spin the wheel back to 0 but I went past 0 and that's why the car snapped to the right. Even though the save ended the way it did I'm still glad I did what I did, if not I would have been 90 degrees to traffic or facing it but regardless the result was terrible.

This is the first time since I've been racing that I feel I have cost someone a sizable amount of money on the race track besides myself. I look forward to never doing it again.

Last edited:
If you watch a video from someone a little further up in grid, there was indeed someone who put 4 wheels off between 3A/B and looks like it peppered the track with dirt/grit. So that would explain some of the loss of grip I would imagine.

Good observation Jeremy. I also noticed (from the video) that before Colin and I came together, the #77 roadster had a 2 tires off on driver's right between 3a and 3 b, as well as another car put 4 wheels off on driver's left. That explains the "...reduced adhesion". The main problem was that it was too crowded between 3a and 3b for any corrective action to work out well at that time.

"That's racing"...and I accept the consequenses for being there.

Jack DeChristopher
FIP #147
Datsun 510

FWIW, I don't read Jack's sentence as condemning your actions but as observing that any problem with that many cars in a tight space was likely to result in contact. I could be wrong, of course.

Back