Interesting data on the new Toyo RR -

Glad I decided to stop testing tires. It looks like letting others burn their $$'s to find out if these tires work is the right plan.

Wow, reading through that thread makes these RR's sound pretty questionable. I will be certainly be holding off on these for the 944.

Wow, reading through that thread makes these RR's sound pretty questionable. I will be certainly be holding off on these for the 944.

Reports back from the 25 at Thunderhill are fantastic regarding the RR's....as long as they are mounted correctly per Toyo!! Team Miata Cage got about 7-8 hours per set. They took 1st and 2nd in E3, all on the RR's without any issues.

Bill-

Well that is certainly good news, Bill. Sounds like all we need to do is to be certain we have them mounted and rotated correctly.

wow, that forum is the worst designed I have ever visited.. I had to dig around all the garbage in each post to see what anyone was saying.

looking at them on display. at the 25 i was not happy with construction of the rubber felt very grainy also the cars that had them were not as fast through the corners as the same cars were last year. to include the miata cage cars which were slower then me on the start in the corners, vs last year. even though there lap time was lower in one of there cars than last year. my heavy bmw goes half the race before the first tire get replaced. will i try them in 2013 yes

looking at them on display. at the 25 i was not happy with construction of the rubber felt very grainy also the cars that had them were not as fast through the corners as the same cars were last year. to include the miata cage cars which were slower then me on the start in the corners, vs last year. even though there lap time was lower in one of there cars than last year. my heavy bmw goes half the race before the first tire get replaced. will i try them in 2013 yes

Pretty sure Miata Cage was on BFG's last year. Just picked up a set of RR's and they look very much like Hoosiers. Just have to make sure they get mounted and rotated properly. Very good price..$161 for 205x50x15 at Les Schwab...anxious to try them at the SCCA event at The Ridge mid April. Hey, that's only 4 months!!

Bill-

From what I have read to date the RR uses the same compound as the other Toyos but the tread has less grooving. I don't think the Toyo compound is up to BFG R1 or Hoosier R6, but I think the construction is a clear advantage on the RA1 & R888 and I would expect a bit more longevity from the RR over the R1 & R6, so I think it will be a win/win on the value scale for classes with a spec tire.

Thunderhill is about more than pure speed. The MiataCage cars turn good laps but most importantly they do it consistently and without major mistakes or on-track issues. That's where the lower classes are won and they deserve credit for their preparation and consistency.

Personally I don't think the RR will keep up with the fast pack in sprint racing, but it is definitely a good thing to have more tire options on the table to suit all types of racers. I was going to try them next year but with my limited schedule I might look at another option.

I am bumping this thread because I found that *thing* I thought I read...

From the Mazda Racers forum:
About RR tire delamination and diagonal rotation issues from last year, I asked Ron Cortez at AIM about the current status. Here is his reply:

"TOYO RR's should be switched by crossing if you want to follow the correct procedure. However, we have not seen an issue with the tires made in 2013. It was only with a two week period of production the middle of 2012 that we saw some, not all, have an issue. The same tread issue was found on RA1's, R888's and Nittos of the same production dates! So, it wasn't only the RR that experienced the problem."

I'm going to be playing with RR's in Spokane, back to back with a still decent set of Hoosier SM6's. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Back