In need of a Paint & Body shop recomendation...

MikeA

Some of you know the story with my 944, others I'll give you a short video to watch to explain. Just skip to 3:20 into the video to watch a snake of cars going thru Turn 5 & Turn 6 @ PIR... then you'll see my red spinning (more orange due to faded guard's red paint) and then getting smacked by the miata (camera car).

It's been a long off-season with mixed emotions on the car, but it is finally back together and almost ready to fire the motor up. Now the next question is what to do about the remaining bodywork... Same two options many of us face, but leaning towards option #1 as I am slammed with work & tending to my 3 month old son.

#1 - Take it to Maaco or similar for a sub $800 paint job including prep work.

#2 - Spend any minute of free time in the garage the next 2 weeks to do my best prep job. Then figure out best method to spray...

Overall condition of the paint is poor. In July I slid in Turn 2 @ Spokane and was hit by Mike Conatore in his 240sx right in the door. This resulted in my first ever accident and first time trying out bodywork. I sanded then bondo'd then sanded some more and finally painted just a small section of the door & quarter panel to minimize downtime last season. I would say I received a C- grade on my quality of work.

Now with this new front half of the car it's clear that it needs a little more love. The black sections are chipping/peeling fairly bad as they appear to have been a maaco like spray, however their prior prep was weak. My guess is it needs a heavy sanding/prep on all those black sections and a decent amount of small prep throughout the rest of the car.

Knowing the brief history and condition does anyone have a buddy that needs some work? Amongst the 944 community we have really never found a reliable and cost effective body/paint man. From reviews it appears the Puyallup Maaco is one of the better franchises.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Below you can see pictures of the progress from this past week.

100MEDIA95IMAG0030.jpg100MEDIA95IMAG0031.jpg100MEDIA95IMAG0032.jpg100MEDIA95IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

Mike - I say do as much prep work as you can and then drag it down to Maaco and paint in a color that is easy to match. Maaco job should last until you are ready to step up to a GT-3 Cup car, right? Just "get er done" and go racing!:biggrin:

Back