ICSCC License Changes for 2015

dan_heinrich

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you are enjoying your off-season with family and friends, while still dreaming and planning for the upcoming race season.

The main purpose for writing this article is to share with you the various licensing changes approved by the Contest and Executive Boards at the November Fall Meeting. Hopefully, this will help the licensing process go as smoothly as possible when you send in your 2015 Competition License Applications. All the forms (License Application, Medical History, and Physical Exam) have already been updated and can be downloaded from the ICSCC website. Please use the checklist at the bottom of the license application form, and email or call me if you have questions.

Here is a brief summary of the changes affecting ICSCC Licensing for 2015:

1. The ICSCC Competition License fee will now be $85, an increase of $10 from last year. This is the first increase since 2007. Expedite fees for late applications will remain at $75.

2. Licenses will expire each December 31. Your 2015 license will expire 12-31-15.

3. All ICSCC Club Membership cards must expire no earlier than November 30, 2015. Renew early. You will need to send me a copy of your 2015 card, a motorsportreg receipt, or an email verification from your club to obtain a license. You will no longer have to show your membership card at registration.

4. How often you need a physical exam will now depend on your age. Submission of a duly-processed physical exam form must accompany the renewal application:

a. Every 5 years for applicants reaching the age of 18 to 49 during the license period
b. Every 2 years for applicants reaching the age of 50 to 69 during the license period
c. Every year for applicants reaching the age of 70 and older during the license period

You will still need to submit a Medical History form with your application every year.

5. Each driver will be assigned a 4-digit Competition License number by the License Registrar. This number, along with your name, will appear on the race results and will be used to record your championship points. Your car number will no longer be used as your unique identifier, and it will not appear on your license. Neither will there be a list of race groups you may run in. Your medical expiration date will be noted on your license.

6. Only 3 types of licenses will be issued in 2015 - Novice, IRR (Senior), and Observation licenses.
ARR (Area) licenses have been eliminated.

Novices: The novice program remains essentially unchanged, and includes finishing all work requirements before becoming eligible for an upgrade. But novices will no longer need to use a 300 or 400 series car number; instead, you may request any available number from 00 – 299. Once the License Director deems you ready for an upgrade, and you have raced on two or more tracks, you will receive an IRR (Senior) license. You will still be required to display the orange sticker with an “X” for a minimum of the first three races as an IRR licensed driver.

Seniors: For you, life will go on pretty much as before. On your license application, you may request a guaranteed car number for each run group you plan to race in. (Last year’s car numbers are still available to you and will be held as per Competition Regulations.) Only numbers from 00 – 299 are considered guaranteed. Those numbers would be yours to use whenever you enter a Championship race event. However, if you do not attend a race, and someone else wants to use your number at that event, they can. I assume most drivers will want to grab a guaranteed number(s), but if you are planning to rent or share a car you can bypass this step and probably run whatever number is on the car you will be using.

Area: Drivers classified as ARR (Area) at the end of the 2014 season will automatically be granted IRR (Senior) status for 2015. However, any unfinished work requirements must be completed during the 2015 season. Since 300 or 400 series car numbers are no longer required, you are free (and encouraged) to request a guaranteed number for each run group you plan to race in. Only numbers from 00 – 299 are considered guaranteed, but you can continue to run with your current number if you choose to. Any ARR (Area) driver who has not already run in three senior Championship races must still display the orange sticker with an “X” for a minimum of the first three races as an ARR/IRR licensed driver.

I think that’s it for now, but feel free to email or call if you have additional questions.

I am looking forward to the upcoming year and seeing all of you at the track.

Linda Heinrich
2015 ICSCC License Registrar
license_registrar@icscc.com

Not exactly on topic but since the car # is no longer used for points do non conference drivers still have to put a 7 in front of their number? It's real hard to find room for an extra 7 on an openwheel car.

4. How often you need a physical exam will now depend on your age.
I was going to email Linda about this but it's probably got more value when asked more publicly: Does this rule change apply from now on, or is it (sort-of) grandfathered back to the last time you got a physical? So, for example, if someone's in the "every 5 years" category and last got a physical 2 years ago (so, due for another physical under the old rules), would they be good to go for another 3?

Not exactly on topic but since the car # is no longer used for points do non conference drivers still have to put a 7 in front of their number? It's real hard to find room for an extra 7 on an openwheel car.

No, 7xx numbers are no longer required. One of the goals of this change was to get rid of illegible car numbers like the tiny 7s on formula cars, race tape number masterpieces done in a hurry when getting the car ready for another driver, and cars with 3 sets of numbers for 3 different drivers (and 2 sets usually inadequately and/or inconsistently blocked out). This should make drivers' and officials' lives much easier.

Well there goes my million dollar plan to breed miniature vinyl 7s for the visiting openwheel guys.

Steve,

Linda does not have an account to post on the ICSCC website, so I will answer your question for her.

The answer is yes and no, depending upon your age. For drivers licensed in 2014 we are counting your 2013 physicals, so in a way drivers were "grandfathered".

Steve, your next physical will be required for the 2017 race season your medical will expire 12-31-16.

Your last physical was in 2013. Under the 5 year plan that would normally be good for the 2013,2014,2015,2016 and 2017 race season. However since you will turn 50 years of age in 2017 you then fall into the 2 year plan, which means your physical must be every 2 years. Since the 2013 physical is more than 2 years old your 2013 physical will expire 12-31-16 at age 49.

For drivers not reaching the age of 50 within the 5 year plan, if your physical was in 2013 it will now expire 12-31-17, if you had a physical in 2014 it will expire 12-31-18.

An email or snail mail will be sent within a week to all drivers who need a physical for the 2015 racing season. If you do not receive a notice assume you are good to go for 2015. Your 2015 license will have a line at the bottom saying when you need a new physical i.e. "Medical Expires 12-31-17".

If you would like to know when your current physical will expire, email or call Linda and she will be more than happy to tell you.

Thanks for your patience with this new change.

Sorry Steve, I just got caught up in the moment remembering 1967.

1967 was the year I turned 16, got my drivers license, won my first race at the Woodburn Drag Strip (no minor waivers to sign, my parents didn't even know I went) and best of all had my first date with Linda!!

Young snappers aren't old. 1967 was the year I was discharged from the Navy after spending nearly 3 of the previous 4 years in the Vietnam war zone.

Last edited:
There are days that I don't feel particularly young any more, but listening to you geezers makes me feel like a bona fide spring chicken.

Great story by the way Dan - sounds like it was a good day!

And Richard - for comparison purposes 1967 was the year I was discharged from kindergarten so if I neglected to say so then - Thanks For Your Service!

Last edited:
Back