ICSCC Insurance Liability Waiver

Ron Johnson, IRDC President, here. The waiver form used by IRDC is the standard form issued by Conference; we get a fresh supply every spring. If there are ever any questions regarding insurance, I suggest speaking to Scott Adare. He is the insurance advisor for a reason - he knows whereof he speaks. Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Thanks Ron, but I don't really have a question to ask Scott, and I know he's an excellent advisor, that's not what I'm asking.

You say you receive a standard form issued by Conference. If there is one, could we not see it posted on the website along with the race entry forms, etc.?

Believe me, I know how complicated insurance issues are ... that's why I'm trying to make one very important part of it more accessible. I'm not questioning ANYONE's abilities or motives or agendas, but it seems to me if there's such a big concern about liability, then our waiver form should be there for all to see, including family members. And if it's not the Conference-approved waiver that's being signed at the various tracks we visit, then shouldn't it be? If certain tracks require a waiver of their own, then make it a secondary one. That seems to be the policy SCCA follows, and they have a g'zillion lawyers and insurance advisors watching their backsides.

In one of the racing-related lawsuits I came across, one of the parties sued was a flagger who waved the car onto the track. So those of us on the sidelines also have a concern about the wording. Not necessarily about what rights I'M waiving, but what rights AGAINST me are being waived (for waving flags and cars back onto a hot track!)

If no one else thinks this is advisable, then I'll just crawl back into my cave, hibernate over the winter, and take the time necessary at every event to read the form back to front. Just seems to me it would be a lot easier if I knew that at every Conference event, the same form would be used, and it was the one posted on the website for all to see.

The idea of posting the waiver on the ICSCC website along with the other forms has been referred to ICSCC officials, since they are responsible for the website's content. With the fall meeting coming up soon, a response may not be immediate, but it will be forthcoming. Thanks for the suggestion, Bonnie.

Back