Hot Topic. So, I'll just leave this here. Happy New Season.

It's that time of year when your race car is ready. Your trailer and tow vehicle are ready. You've replaced any obsolete safety equipment and checked out the equipment that still meets muster.

But how about you? Are you checked out?

We saw too many cars that did not maintain positive adhesion to the racing surface. Sometimes to the extent of using the sides and top of their vehicle to eventually slow themselves down.

In this case, I consider the infrequent occurrence of fire a blessing. Not to bring up what could have been a story with a very different outcome at ORP last season.

But I would rather consider that every driver remain on top of their responsibilities toward safety, and how to respond to many of the dangers that they might find themselves in.

Because that's racing.

So practice, practice, practice.

http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/...342-trapped-in-a-burning-race-car-part-i.html

I thank you. And your Safety Team (every Safety Team) thanks you.

Last edited:
Ken - I would also like to thank you for posting this. After taking last year year off I am preparing the Anson for this race season. We all go over the mechanical part of the car and can sometimes forget the safety side. I will check the fire system and practice the egress from the car with lights off in the garage. I want it to be second nature to me.

I wish everyone a safe and fun race season. I'm looking forward to getting back out at the track.

Tim Bland

One thing the driver seems to forget is that the racing organizations have had to create rules to control things in order to be allowed by society to continue to operate. I remember hearing all the arguing back when safety was being push into racing. I also remember hearing of the lawsuits that families brought against organizations when their loved one ended up deceased in a racing incident. No rules? No racing. We have rules and we have nice tracks to play on because we have those rules. Sadly, not everyone takes personal responsibility for their choices in this world.

No rules? No racing. We have rules and we have nice tracks to play on because we have those rules. Sadly, not everyone takes personal responsibility for their choices in this world.
Rob - You got that right! But even when those people do, others around them can override that choice by filing a lawsuit anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

No rules? No racing. We have rules and we have nice tracks to play on because we have those rules. Sadly, not everyone takes personal responsibility for their choices in this world.
Rob - You got that right! But even when those people do, others around them can override that choice by filing a lawsuit anyway.

Back