Honda help

heymagic

Rally Tech
These kinds of posts usually irritate someone, so I'll apologize in advance. I'm reading the prep rules again and trying to decide where to head with my sons 1987 CRX Si. Seems like the car could concievably run in ITB, FP, RS or Honda Challenge if not others. It has run in some autoXs before and Canadian hillclimb and has SP1 stickers on the door, what is that?

The car is gutted (no side windows or hardware or dash and heater) and caged but the drivetrain is stock other than a header. I have a complete parts cars so I can put stuff back as needed.

Old eyes get bleary after a hour of reading rules...so if I can get a bit of guidance and narrow them down I'll gladly read them again.

Thanks,
Gene

These kinds of posts are exactly the kind of intelligent information sharing this forum should be all about so i fail to see why it should irritate anyone.

I started racing with too little accumulated knowledge and a car that I thought would fit into certain classes only to find out I only had a vague idea what I was doing. Luckily, I had a number of helpful mentors who became good friends to help get me moving in the right direction. I think this forum is a great first resource for those smart enough to tap the accumulated knowledge of experienced racers without having to remake all the mistakes they made accumulating that knowedge. I think you will find there is a great pool of people and information to help get you out and participating and we love new participants!

As always - make sure you understand that free advice can potentially be worth exactly what you paid for it, so consider carefully and make wise decisions before acting on information you get. Some will be priceless, some will be worthless, and it's up to you to separate the two! Caveat emptor!

These kinds of posts usually irritate someone, so I'll apologize in advance. I'm reading the prep rules again and trying to decide where to head with my sons 1987 CRX Si. Seems like the car could concievably run in ITB, FP, RS or Honda Challenge if not others.

Thanks,
Gene

Your car would fit into Honda Challenge (H5) and I believe only H4 is in Conference. You car DOES fit into the SCCA "FP" classification in Group 2 and it also fits in ITB in Group 5. It would be easy to make it legal in both.

There are lots of other cars in these groups that will be fun to race with even though they may or may not be in the same class. For instance, group 5 this coming weekend has 53 cars in it and group 2 has 36 so there's lots of racing to be had.

You will need to have a Dash for IT prep.

Since you've done a hill climb and whatnot with this car already have you yet broken hubs? There is a very long thread on another "road racing forum" in which the owner of your year car can't get replacement hubs because "supposedly" Honda doesn't carry them anymore. If you have a source for them I'd say horde them because hubs do occasionally break and will need to be replaced!

Gene, that's an excellent question. We'll try to help but first we need more info on the car.

From what I gather, the car has the following features:
1. 1987 Honda CRX Si
2. Stock motor w/header (stock intake or cold air intake?)
3. Gutted interior
4. No dash
5. No heater (do you mean heater core)
6. Stock tranmission

What about the following?:
1. Suspension (stock mounting points, damper adjustability, etc.)
2. Wheel size
3. Tires (Honda Challenge requires Toyos, IT allows Hoosiers and other faster tires)
4. Final drive ratio

We haven't done anything with the car other than the last Alfa track day at PR. The previous owner did the hill climb stuff. I guess I'll start collecting hubs...

Mike,
Suspension is stock other than Tokico shocks.
Currently we have 13inch performance racing radials and stock 14 alloys off the parts car.
Final drive would be whatever it had stock.
Heater box and dash completely removed. Has a dash bar from the front cage legs and the gages are on that.
Battery box bolted to passenger floor.
Seems like it has a CAI but I'd have to go look again.

Colin nailed it. I just checked the SCCA and NASA rules to confirm. Looks like this car should be able to run in FP and ITB. I certainly wouldn't have any problem with it running in HC4 (even though it's an HC5 car) but it probably isn't too competitive there.

So, for Group 2: FP or maybe HC4

For Group 5: ITB (although be forewarned that there are some pretty fast cars in Group 5 and it might not be too much fun being a rolling chicane in that group)

Back