Helping a friend

jeff_remfert

I decided that I should move this post from the Karting post to here, as it has become more than what was intended at the time. Thank you all again for your kind words and donations, racers never cease to amaze me!

All the boys and girls at Retro Racing are very sad that we can't make it this year. I know that I missed last year (work) and was looking forward to throwing up in my helmet along with my fellow Retro drivers.
All of our Projects are stacking up and time is getting short. We have three new cars to get on track, two others to paint (thats five total) and a rental fleet of cars to prep and organize (more on that later).
Our big project right now is helping an old friend with a bucket list. Our friend Steve is fighting for his life, so the least we can do is help him realize his dream of completing his tube frame GT3 mazda. It started as a bunch of tubes (15 years in the makeing) and about 10 bins of parts a month ago. Today, the frame is complete and painted, rear suspension is complete with brakes, cooler, fuel cell etc. Engine and trans are in, coolers mounted, dash complete, pedals in ..... Please follow along with the build at www.retroracingteam.com.
We have over a dozen people working in two seperate shops to complete this project in time for Steve to enjoy it. Terry and crew are sanding and painting, Barry and a small army are fabing, machining, cutting and welding like mad men. We are setting up a fund for Steve and his family on the Retro site.
Steve worked at Allan Autotech during my first years of racing. If it wasn't for him and Barry putting in long hours after there regular business day on my roadster, there is no way I would have ever found myself living the dream, racing cars.

Sorry to miss out on the fun, have a great time and hoist one for us at the post race party!

Jeff Remfert
Retro Racing Team

Thank you all, but we are just doing what we have the ability to do, what we all do when at the track and someone needs a hand. It's just on a bigger scale.

Here is a link to the project, please check it out when you have time. We hope to find some time to blog about the progress once a week or so, but we will have to see if that is going to be possible. Also note, there is a donation button on the upper left of the page. We set up a PayPal account to help Steve, his wife and his 6 year old make it through an unimaginable time. Steve can't work any longer, his wife is looking for a career and time is short. Some friends and family have arranged a fun night at a local pub to raise money for another item on his Bucket List, at trip to Disney Land with his wife and son. Great to see everyone come together.

http://www.retroracingteam.com/id98.html

Thank you all again, have fun at the Race!!!

Jeff Remfert
Retro Racing Team

Steve passed away only hours after we were able to present a running car to him, just after the News interview, last night. To our surprise, he was able to make it out to sit in his car, rev the he11 out of it and enjoy at least a half hour or so with his friends and familily. Although the car is not totally complete yet, we will be completing it in his honour as soon as we can. Thank you to all of you that supported us in this venture, you made a difference in all of our lives.
Thanks Mike for your post, you are a true friend.

Jeff
Retroracingteam

Jeff, I saw a follow-up story on the morning news, which is how I heard that Steve had passed away. My condolences to all of you. I looked for the original news story and found the link, so I thought I would share it here. I too will look forward to seeing the car on the track.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=hyoW91w_y9hyfRoyM3SYIHIk80A0BuFa

(Mike, in reviewing the other threads just now, I see you had already posted this link under another thread - my apologies for the double-post.)

Last edited:
You guys are truly incredable. Steves in a place where he can race whenever he wants. Godspeed Steve. Rest in Peace.

Back