Group 3 race PIR

I was going to apologize for spinning and disrupting the group3 race on Sunday, but couldn't understand how I had spun. Unloading the car today, I realized why when I saw the bent wing mount and broken diffuser. I didn't feel a hit, but obviously did get hit in the chicane by one of the Club Fords. My fault for not qualifying better, due to a lot of little problems.

Thanks to turn workers and safety crew for keeping the chicane clear and moving me off when I was unable to re-start the motor.

Shucks Brad, sorry to hear that :(

I just unpacked Jeff's new diffuser today :rolleyes:

It got damaged by the Turn 7 apex bump (along with the right side pod) the last time out at Pacific. Looks so nice I hate to put it on the car! :cool:

Oh, by the way Brad, you must be mistaken - club fords never run into anyone! Where did you hear such a thing?

Rich, was the T7 bump the cause, or the effect?

If I understand your question, the bump was the cause. One (or a couple) of times through there just on a slightly different line (or maybe ride height a touch too low), he heard that pod BANG. The damage to diffuser is on the right side also. Rip out of the support post probably caused by the same bottoming as it's at the same height as the bottom of the pod.

Brad, I have to correct Wes. Club Ford drivers do occasionally contact other cars, but it is never, ever their fault. I am the Club Ford driver you seek. I tried to find you immediately after the race, but it seems you split pronto. Jay was getting me contact info so I could reach you, but this forum will work fine. There were two surprises for me at the chicane - the first was the clean, big-time dive you made to pass me on the inside at T-1. The second was the difference in how we brake for T-2. We were inch-close and the unexpected braking left us with a remodeled tail and nose. I apologize for the contact. But as stated above, it is really not my fault. By putting yourself between this 60 year old CF driver and his pole-sitting (by 0.05 sec!) very competitive son you put yourself in very risky territory. Kris won by a car length. I'm guessing that the non-aero, remodeled nose was a factor...yeah, that's the reason!

Bob

Well Brad. Based upon the above, you got hit by one of the BEST ;)

Keep the parts. You might be able to sell them on E-bay some day as one of the 'few' contacts ever by a "Spreen"! :D

Thanks for the reply Bob. My car ended up over by the chicane grandstand and I had it loaded by the time the race was over. I'm sorry for the contact, that was exactly what I didn't want to have happen, being a different class and gridded in the middle. I must have over-slowed for the left hander. I let the race run for a lap and a half to see how you guys were running and was only using 3/4 throttle on the front staight, so decided to start moving towards the yellow mazda. Glad it didn't totally ruin your race.

I'm sorry it ruined yours. We could all go to school on Kris in the chicane, as he's become the fastest I can recall there since John Hill. We won't be at Seattle, so you can run without, as the pilots say, "having to 'Check 6'...":) Good luck!

Noses

Mr Spreen Just curious how many noses does this make for you this year? Will miss u folks at seattle its a shame we havnt got to race together much this year. I looks like next year I will be back in FM so maybe I can be of service 25 minutes in. ;)

Well RJ, let's see... Actually just two. The first one I modified last weekend was one I repaired after the previous PIR race, when I had a master cylinder fail and shot straight off T-10, hitting only agriculture, or perhaps a mole. The second one was during my nudge of poor Brad...and I think it is minor enough to be repairable. Using the best practices of typical club racer mathmatics, that means I really have only used one!

Rodney are you coming to Mission this week-end for the CFDA race? Last I heard there were 13 of us, and a few more possibles. Bring your rains, for Saturday anyway.
Based on your CF 'always faultless' reasoning, I'd say you are still on your original nose so far this year Bob if you extend your reasoning to simple CF math!

Yes, Rodney, I'd like to know too if you're coming to Mission ... I received a trophy at the META Christmas banquet, which has a little open wheel car painted in your colours with the numbers "39", and a miniature orange safety cone next to it ... the dashplaque attached says "Turn 3 - Car 39 hit that cone again! - August 30, 2008".

If you're coming, I'll ask for Turn 3 again, and you can stop by and autograph the cone for me!

Brad, you may have over-slowed for T-2 that lap, but I think it was because you had to. I was just looking at some of Doug Berger's photos of the Group 3 race and it jogged my memory. I was in front of you in T-2; I had just been passed in T-1 and the car in front of me slowed more than I expected in T-2. I had to check up big-time to avoid punting the rear of car in front. There is a photo of that moment shot from the chicane grandstand and it shows that I had opposite-lock on as I was apexing T-2, which was from having to stab the brakes mid-corner. I'm guessing you had to check up suddenly to avoid hitting me, and the accordian effect caught out the (ahem, 60 year old) guy behind you. I remember checking my mirrors on exit and seeing your car spin around, which I thought wasn't a surprise given what had just happened. So, I think I should thank you for not hitting me. Sorry that your race was ruined. As you know by now, it's advisable to keep your distance from us CF guys. Good luck at Seattle.

Kris

Mission

Mission is one of my favorite tracks but due to spending most of my budget going to Wisconsin this year I will not be able to make it up to Canada. Besides I hear there is not a cone in turn three this year what would I do to entertain myself?

Brad, I just checked to see if there was a personal e-mail address for you on the member list; there's not, so I'm sending you a note this way ... I was SOOOOOOO sorry to hear the call of the collision at Turn 6 today. September has not been a month to remember for you racing-wise, or maybe it is, but for the wrong reasons! It was nice to meet you in person - I hope you're not too sore and the car's not too bent.

Back