FS: 1988 BMW 325i

DavidG

I obtained this '88 BMW 325i thru some trading. I was told that it has a bad head due to someone trying to put on a new timing belt and got it on wrong. I have purchased a new complete head, head gasket kit, head bolts, timing belt and tensioner to put it back together but just don't have the time. The old head, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, radiator, etc. have already been pulled so it's basically ready to go back together. When I pulled the old head, I noticed that two expansion plugs had popped so I replaced those already too. The pictures show it with black steelie rollers, but it now has the correct "bottle cap" wheels with decent tires. The would be a great deal for someone who knows a bit about these cars, or to build out another Pro-3 racer! I am asking $1500 firm for everything, or $1200 for the car without the new head and gasket/belt kit. The car has 116k miles.

Advice?

Please let me know if any of you Pro-3 guys have any advice what I should do with this thing. Finish putting it back together? Part it out?

P.S. I am a novice Pro-7 racer (#406) ...see ya at ORP this weekend!

I'll forward the link to the PRO3 group.

You probably should put it on Craigslist too.

And I think you'll probably need to be a little flexible on the price.

Dave-
I'm interested in this car but I'm curious about the condition of the bottom end. Since these are interference motors and the head is ruined due to improper timing belt install, there is a very good possibility that the valves came in contact with the pistons. Sometimes it can simply dmage the head but can easily damage the pistons as well.

From what you can tell, do the pistons look damaged on their face? If not, I'm interested.

-Dave

Here are some hi-res pics of the new head and gasket kit, pistons, old head, intake, air box, radiator and the "junk in her trunk". In my opinion the pistons and cylinders look fine. None of the piston heads have holes in them anyways LOL. Just kidding they don't even looked cracked and the cylinder walls still have nice cross hatch honing marks. The scratching on the piston tops is my lazy attempt to remove some carbon build up using the wrong tool (a slot-blade screwdriver). You can also see the new expansion plugs that I put in each side of the block (passenger side was gone, and the other side was about half popped out). The "old head" doesn't even look that bad, it looks like "only" one or two valves are bent, but I have been told that would be rare that all 6 usually get bent. But the guy I got it from made it sound like they didn't even run it after changing the belt, just clunked it up starting it over probably. Please let me know if there is any more info I can provide. I can deliver this thing too for free around the Portland/Vancouver area, or further for gas money!

http://www.dbgconsulting.net/BMW325iProjectCarParts/index.html

Back