Formula Ford/Honda

mroddis

Just been catching up on the SCCA debate over the proposal for the Honda Fit engine to be allowed in FF. Comments? As someone looking at the class from the outside, it seems like a fairly viable way to maintain the health of the class...

Just wondering what other people think.....

Matthew.

It is an interesting debate to watch.

When this topic of a 'newer' engine for FF came up about 4 years ago, it lead to the complete melt-down/shut-down of the old FF Forum. It's content was 'folded' in to Apexspeed which is now where the majority of FF (and all formula car) discussions go on.
It's amazing how sensible the dialog has been so far.

Such a 'hot' topic that a seperate sub-section has been set up to address the "Honda" issue:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

P.S.
I still cannot comperhend why the SCCA has NOT folded the European FF Duratec engine in to U.S.A. FF racing. It would open the market up to new chassis sales from Europe and just maybe expand the number of drivers in the class here.

Honda is pumping a LOT of bucks in to this and I have yet to figure out why.

We saw the Swift fitted with the Honda engine at Road America, and there was a lot of interest and people around the car all week-end. This is just for the newer FF's as I understand it, at least for now.
Being old school I don't really care to see a Japanese motor in the back of a Ford, but with the continued age of parts and decline in the quantity of those parts it will need to happen eventually. I haven't heard if any manufacturer other than Honda has shown any interest to date, but the thread on Apex is quite interesting, and starting to heat up a little.
If you go to tripod.smugmug.com and click on the RA 09' gallery there is a shot of the Honda car on page 1. I tried to post it here but it's too big.

Here's a link to the 'released' photos by HPD and the article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/25/honda-proposes-fit-engine-to-replace-classic-formula-ford-mill/

Notice this has gone FAR beyond a 'rules change proposal' to SCCA at this point. It has become a 'major' story already for Honda. Now, would they have really spent this money and keyed in their publicity department unless they were SURE this was (will be) a done deal? I don't think so.

Furthermore, Honda is sending out AutoCAD drawings of the engine to chassis builders and prep shops on an as requested basis.

Last edited:
Well, I'm guessing it will REMAIN FF. Over the long haul as generations of racers come and go, the meaning will shift from Formula Ford to.... Formula Fit or FF :)

The Honda "FIT" model car is the source of this engine.

Well, I admit it tickled me a little too.

But I still haven't made peace with Hanoi Jane. So the 'Fonda" thing still sticks in my craw.

yeah, but you can buy a whole Fit engine for the cost of what, 2 aluminum heads? ;)

I think the idea of 'slightly below parity' is really interesting...

t

yeah, but you can buy a whole Fit engine for the cost of what, 2 aluminum heads? ;)

I think the idea of 'slightly below parity' is really interesting...

t

Right on both counts.

BUT:

As of now, the conversion 'kit' from HPD is priced at $12,000! That includes everything needed to install into the chassis (only done on a DB-1 at the moment). No telling what it will cost on other model FF's

However you are right. Once you've got the basics a replacement FIT engine is about $2,700 injectors to clutch. That's about 2/3rds the cost of a Kent rebuild. And, the FIT is expected to be good for at least 3 years or racing or more.

The 'slightly below parity thing'. Yup, that's so as to prevent major yells and screams from the many hundreds of Kent engine owners out there. Not sure what Honda has done to the ECU but, they are 'required' already to run an intake restrictor. So, no doubt the engine it capable of 'exceeding' parity if needed :)

P.S.
The reason is this isn't getting shouts of anguish and absolute refusal to accept the thought of change from the "Kent Community" this time is; There just aren't any Kent or Cortina blocks left in the world! Yes, somebody actually looked in to making new castings but I think that's off the table now.

IF you loose your FF block and need a complete engine, plan on spending between $7,000 and $9,000 for a race prep'd one.. OUCH!! :eek: That's about the price of a complete club level FF car that needs a going through.

Last edited:
Back