First Conference Novice Race Observations

FFRSpec72

It was my first conference race, even though I had a DNF due to a front brake rupture going into turn 8 (still cleaning out my suit).

Coming from NASA Time Trails I wanted point out some observations;

1) IRDC was very organized far better than NASA (Texas), things went on time, no confusion that I saw
2) The workers were very helpful and friendly (much more pleasant than I’m used to)
3) The onsite Registration was a breeze, big thanks for all the workers there making sure things went smooth, the on-line registration had a few glitches but much better than having to mail the form in, I’m sure that the glitches will go away next time
4) I did miss part of the Novice meeting in the AM as I could not find it, now looking back on this it was pretty well advertised and now I know what to look for
5) License director was always around (something that NASA lacked as they were always out on track themselves) to help and talk to before each session
6) The idea of actually having observers on the track during a race and recording their observations is just great, I did not get to read all of them (do they get posted someplace)?
7) The speed in getting times up on MyLaps was outstanding; it took NASA sometimes as much as 7-10 days to get the times up and these were up when I got home
8) The time sheets were also super quick, as these were sometimes as late as 2 hours with NASA
9) Inspection was quick and easy, but wanted to get an annual and found that impossible to get on Saturday as I went by several times with no luck, so any pointers would be helpful
10) I get the passing flag on qualifying session but found it over used on the practice session
11) Was the emergency vehicles on the track during the race an introduced distraction to see how the drivers did or was something else going on?

I Wanted to thank Randy (for the new line) and Ken Olson and others that came by for helping me out with a new front brake line and getting the car drivable, very helpful people at the track.

It seemed that the entrance to PR was a mess most of the day with a bunch of “tuners” that made it real hard for folks to get in and out of the track; I tried to go get some things and could not get out as they had the entrance road all blocked up

Welcome to ICSCC and IRDC. Glad to hear you enjoyed your first outing with our group. Ive been involved with ICSCC for 20 years as a worker and have found that the family atmosphere is quite prevelant at the tracks we run at. Countless stories over the years of comptetitors helping each other out. I was flagging at turn 7 and saw your spin in 8. At the time I thought it was weird, as you were trying to pass the Fiat when you spun to the inside of 8 at the apex. Hearing that you had a brake failure, I can appreciate the maneuvere to avoid contact and scrub speed. Nicely done.

As IRDC's Asst. Chief of Flags, I can answer some of your points. The workers are a freindly bunch and have a great love of racing. Some have been working turns for 30 odd years or more. We like the fun we have at the track. If you have problems/questions on specific turns, the workers that were there are more than happy to help out. We have seen all the lines, good and bad. Not just for you but for all the Novice Drivers. Come find us at the BBQ, we love to bench race.

The Emergency vehicle during the race was a test. The Novice Director likes to do that from time to time. It may be an E-truck, maybe a full course yellow and a pace car, or maybe just a black flag at starter with your number board. We like to test you guys(and gals) a little before you join the larger senior groups, hopefully makes the transition a little smoother.

Now the biggie, the blue flag. All the flag really means is be aware of your surroundings, we think a faster car is going to pass you (usually not for someone that is comparable in speed for you- but there are exceptions). You arent required to do anything, you dont have to let him pass, although it would probably be a good idea. During a race we usually only blue flag for lapped traffic, we wont blue flag for position. This flag is usually used quite a bit more for practice and qualifying sessions than it is in a race. Ive had the occasional race where I didnt throw a single blue flag.

Again glad you enjoyed the weekend, hope to see you out again and again and again.

Thomas Liesner

PS. We tend to get confused from time to time, just like anyone else. We just hide it better.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get home and actually attend a race!!! I love to hear as much feedback as possible from the Novice guys so when I do finally come out and race it feels like I am not really behind on the learning curve. Soon enough......

It was my first conference race, even though I had a DNF due to a front brake rupture going into turn 8 (still cleaning out my suit).

10) I get the passing flag on qualifying session but found it over used on the practice session
up

ALL that Thomas said about the Blue FLag are the facts.

You are far more likely to see Blue Flags in Practice and Qual then in a race (unless you're in one of the 40 to 50 car run groups. In Practice/Qual the cars come out in random order and some are UP to speed quicker then others. So there's a higher probability that cars at velocity's greater then yourself will be coming up behind you.

We know most drivers are WELL aware of their surroundings. But even the most SENIOR drives will get a Blue Flag to simply advise them that the competition is 'making-a-move' on them and they should CHECK their mirrors and HOLD their line. It's up to the passing driver to move by safely. It's up to the car being passed to NOT make any sudden unexpected moves!

Once you join Senior races, you may well see Blue Flags early. Due to oddities on the grid, some real screamers can end up near the back of the field. Then we will advise drivers early that they have a FAST approaching car.

It may seem excessive at times but it's in the interest of ALL the drivers safety. The last thing turn workers want to do is grab a fire bottle and start running! Most of us are too old to do all that running :)

11) Was the emergency vehicles on the track during the race an introduced distraction to see how the drivers did or was something else going on?.....

Yes, a test to see how the Novices handled it. Matter of fact, normally several other 'things' would have been added to the mix. But you guys were having such a good run, the Steward for the group decided to let you race rather then throw a couple of other things at you.

If it ain't one thing, it's another. COUNT on it at your next Novice Event!

Last edited:
...But you guys were having such a good run, the Steward for the group decided to let you race rather then throw a couple of other things at you.

If it ain't one thing, it's another. COUNT on it at your next Novice Event!

I was expecting more of that type of thing, checking the turn stations for flags often.
I remember thinking..."when are they going to mess with us?"...then my mind quickly went back to "this is so AWESOME!!!" :)

Now the biggie, the blue flag. All the flag really means is be aware of your surroundings, we think a faster car is going to pass you (usually not for someone that is comparable in speed for you- but there are exceptions). You arent required to do anything, you dont have to let him pass, although it would probably be a good idea. During a race we usually only blue flag for lapped traffic, we wont blue flag for position. This flag is usually used quite a bit more for practice and qualifying sessions than it is in a race. Ive had the occasional race where I didnt throw a single blue flag.

Again glad you enjoyed the weekend, hope to see you out again and again and again.

Thanks for the clarification, as I have been trained that the blue flag means you MUST let the folks pass and if you don't you will get a black flag, which means that i have not made any friends with the workers and I don't want that to happen.

Had a Great time out there thanks to everyone here.

...... as I have been trained that the blue flag means you MUST let the folks pass and if you don't you will get a black flag, which means that i have not made any friends with the workers and I don't want that to happen. Had a Great time out there thanks to everyone here.

Only way that WILL happen in ICSCC is if it appears to us that you are INTENTIONALLY keeping a faster car from passing you or, making numerous moves on the track to block a equal speed competitor from getting past.

Review with the License Director what constitutes 'intentional blocking'. The experienced turn workers know it when they see it.

P.S.
Although we are human and errors are made on occasion, you should pretty much assume a Blue Flag is given for good reason. CHECK your mirrors and HOLD you racing line an over lap is going to occur real soon. Senior drivers will 'expect' you to do just that and they know how to get around you.

The 'foolish' thing to do is make some kind of strange 'move' to get out of their way. That is exactly NOT what they are prepared for and it can result in some 'close calls' or worse.

Last edited:
Blue flags in Conference are "informational only". They are not an order or directive and are sometimes shown in error, because cars pop into view and it is sometimes not immediately clear who is following who or who is faster than who.

That being said, it is just our good friends the volunteer corner workers understanding that a race car at speed takes a lot of attention and you might be distracted or blocked from recognizing that someone has moved into a position to overtake you. I've always viewed it as my friends in white saying "I'm sure you are practicing good mirror etiquette and demonstrating masterful situational awareness, but I just want to make sure you know another car is approaching so we can share a laugh at the barbeque later."

Make sure and give those friendly folks a wave after you've had your fun.

Thanks workers.

Last edited:
I've always viewed it as my friends in white saying "I'm sure you are practicing good mirror etiquette and demonstrating masterful situational awareness, but I just want to make sure you know another car is approaching so we can share a laugh at the barbeque later."

That sentence somehow needs to be included in our rulebook or P&P Rick! What does the blue flag mean again?

Stop it!

Just check your mirrors, so that we are confident that you are situationally aware so:

1. You may avoid getting run over

2. We will not be required to write the report(s) should you get 'binked, 'bonked'. or otherwise shown the tires.

Other than that, "Have a nice day."

Back