Engineering Internships

Littlevees

Jim Venable
I’m asking for my son Tim Venable who will be a senior next year at Seattle University majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Additionally, Tim races a Miata in Groups 2 & 5 when he has the funds to do so which has been limited.

Might any of you have or know of engineering internships available in the NW for this coming summer? He’s applied for some through school and the internet. Figured it couldn’t hurt to ask if there might be something our racing family knows about that may not be so publicly known.

You can e-mail me at jamesfvenable@gmail.com if you prefer not to respond here.

Much appreciated,
Jim Venable

Jim,

Have him contact PACCAR and Exotic Metals Forming Company.

I interned with Paccar right out of school and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences there. With an interest in cars he should try scam a spot at the technical center in Mt Vernon. They have an amazing facility that includes a test track to beat up on the big trucks. Imagine a kenworth sliding sideways on a skid pad.

I know Exotic hires interns and is growing like mad right now. I almost took a job with them a few years ago and was very impressed with the opperation. Their hr team is top notch and I would suggest he call them directly to inquire about any opportunities.

Otherwise, I do business with quite a few local aerospace firms in the area and will keep an eye out. I was in his shoes more recently than I should admit, if he has any questions don't hesitate to have him contact me.

Hello Mr. Poorvette Racing,

I applied with PACCAR and got an offer working at the Kenworth plant in Renton. I politely declined as it was purely an assembly job and had no elements of engineering or fabrication. Several students at my school applied to the tech center in Mt. Vernon and none of us got in, however one kid got a job at the design offices in Bellevue. I started my application for Exotic Metals Forming Company and will be submitting it within the next week. They will also be visiting my school on April 11th. Just this morning I heard back from Fatigue Technology and will be going in for an interview in the next couple of weeks. I'm really excited I got an interview there!

My primary interest is in composites, closely followed by stress analysis. Ultimately I would like to work in aerospace or defense, possibly even yachts. Carbon fiber is the new steel, it will slowly enter all aspects of our lives and it's a transition I want to be a part of.

Regards,
Tim

Jim -- Curious how you know Exotic?

I work at Exotic. Started as a Manufacturing Engineer and am now the Laser Production Supervisor.

Yeah we are growing like crazy. Our "Engineering" interships usually book up quick. We do like to high Engineering students into our production facility as interns also.

Tim -- You can put me down as a reference on your Exotic app if you'd like. I can tell HR to be on the look out for you too.... however like I said, I think our Engineering Intern positions are already gone.

Hexcell down here in Kent is a big composites company that a couple of our engineers have gone to. I can get you in touch with them, but I don't know if Hexcell does internships.

Steve Clinton

Michael, Thank you for the tip on the Moses Lake plant. I haven't been able to find any job listings for the plant but was able to find a physical address.

Steve, I am going to drop off my application in person Tuesday morning. My academic advisor has been urging me to take whatever I can get so I would probably be open to working on the production side. I'd love to get an engineering internship but I would be equally happy doing work that has a fabrication element to it as those are great skills to learn. If you could get in touch with the guys you know at Hexcell that would be great. I've pretty much been sending my resume everywhere in hope of getting a few interviews.

Tim

Steve,

I actually accepted a program mgt job at Exotic two years ago but ended up being convinced to stay with my current employer. I was really impressed with the operation and have nothing but good things to say about the group I interviewed with.

Tim,

Have you contacted Toray in Tacoma? They would be worth a look if you are interested in composites.

Zack

Back